Oct 5, 2019

I THINK SHE'S FEE NEE. WHAT DO YOU THINK?


I think I just finished Mary Poppins, Dearies! I know that her name and "Anything Can Happen" are supposed to be top and bottom, but I think I prefer it without. How about you?


Hmmmm. Maybe just her name at the top? There's something of the subtlety of it without that I seem to like, but is it imbalanced or look unfinished in some way?


I think I'll put it aside for a minute and watch a little of the game before deciding what to do. I've been stitching for quite some time, so maybe a little rest will help me figure it out.

But is has been a thoroughly enjoyable stitch on thoroughly enjoyable linen...29ct Applesauce Lugana from Colour & Cotton. I used most of the called-for DMC colors...substituting the lightest grey that wasn't at the Michael's and switching out the brick/orange red for 498 blue/red instead.

The chart came from The Little Stitcher on the etsy, and I confess that I have several of her charts on my wish list. Just excellent, in my opinion, and well worth the effort!

20 comments:

  1. I think she looks fine (and finished). Mary is so recognizable that she doesn't need to have her name. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she's beautiful just the way she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I do prefer her sans name and saying, just as you currently have her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the other commentators, I think she is practically perfect in every way just as she is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone knows Mary - she doesn't need a name tag....
    I agree with you.... subtlety..... as is. Great piece !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her without her name. However, I do understand your feeling that it's a wee bit off. The bottom has two lines and the top only one. Maybe a red line all the way across the top like the red line on the bottom. It would be red line/black line/Mary/Red line/black line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coni, I like it the way it is. Everyone knows Mary Poppins and the saying in the middle is perfect. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - no need for extra wording, the little quotation is subtle whereas the remaining border words are so big that it takes your eyes away from the stitching. You could always do a narrow frame border, but then it already does at the bottom and partials to the side. Yes, let her rest as she is. A very nice piece of work, so would be a pity to spoil it. Feeeneee for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it as is, & agree that everyone knows Mary so you don't need her name. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your work but it looks unfinished and unbalanced to me. Please finish as designed or come up with your own header and footer. Perhaps some little birds that are not flying but pecking at crumbs or some fashion element such as her turned out shoes or her umbrella or her satchel or a combination. Thank you for asking and getting my creative juices flowing. I always have graph paper on hand for planning before I stitch. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly I think you should put YOUR NAME on it!
    I really like this piece!
    Linda S

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me, too much writing detract from the picture. I would leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that fabric you stitched it on, Coni! I quite like it without her name and the words at the bottom. Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be a lovely pillow, but I think another line at the top will balance it with the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps a simple border all the way around the piece, no more words. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the way you stitched it . Red line on bottom is the ground, then bottom line echoes the top line. It works! Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! She is lovely! And I think I like it without the words on the top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete