Jun 8, 2023

I LOVE THIS THING OF OURS

Gingher mystery solved and questions answered, thanks to stitchy friends both near and far. If you're contemplating acquisition of every single edition...GIRD YOUR LOINS!  These are most definitely collectors' items and can be very very spendy.

(Methinks I will continue to be grateful for and happy with the ones that I have thus far.)

(Unless, of course, I win the lottery...in which case I will fund the discovery of artificial kidneys, cure cancer, solve world peace, give every stitcher enough pin money to buy all of the things, and then go on a quest to find every single one on the list).

2000:  Cheetah, Emilia

2001:  Gloriana, Laurel

2002:  Abigail, Katelynn, Penelope

2003:  Audrey, Gabriella, Leah

2004:  Casandra, Lindsay, Olivia

2005:  Amanda, Lanell, Sophia

2006:  Alyssa, Jamie, Julia

2007:  Ashley, Bianca, Glory, Maria

2008:  Emma, Freedom, Roberta, Sarah

2009:  Criss, Elena, Mia

2010:  Charlene, Ella, Sonia

2011:  Alicia, Tessa

2012:  Emily, Jennifer

2013:  Julia, Sharon

2014:  Barbara, Eve

2015:  Wren

2016:  Sawyer

2017:  Lauren

2018:  Eleanor

2019:  Juniper

2020:  Evelyn

2021:  Rynn


On my personal stitchy front, I fished through my WiP basket last night and decided to give a little bit of love to Brenda Gervais' "Summer At Cherry Hill".


Dearies, I'm not going to lie. As soon as I pulled this out, memories of dialysis flooded over me, and it took me a minute to get my bearings. Do our projects hold onto memories for us? I admit, not all of the memories that came were sad...some were very happy as I thought about my podmates and nurses and techs and all of you and the incredible support I received through it, but along with that came the fear and the pain and the panic and the grief and the realization that so many patients pass away without the gift of transplant.

(Hmmmm. Note to self. Must find a new Dr Melfi. Stat.)

Now, back to the piece. As I stitched and stitched I was kind of in a fog (see reason above), and when I stopped for the night and took a look at what I had completed was kind of bummed.
The color striping is really really evident. I hadn't really noticed it (see reason above)...but I'm wondering if it's too extreme. When I look at the chart cover, I notice that striping does exist, but is mine too much?

So that's the dilemma for the day...a very mild one to be sure, but something for me to put some thought to as I putz and futz and splosh my underthings in the washing contraption.

Happy Thursday to one and all! What's new with you?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list; I hadn't realized Cheetah is so old. Also noticed no 2022 scissor, so I wonder if they have given this up for good, or is it some leftover Covid issue. On the stitching topic, stripes are always an issue for me. Most tree striations go up and down, but I don't stitch that way if I can help it. Cherry tree striation is horizontal though. So I think this is fine, since it's called Summer at Cherry Hill, right? You can't change your past memories of this piece, but how about making new ones, because you survived, you're here to stitch & live another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, lots of things to sort through. But I understand since I’ve worked on some of my Mom’s projects since she passed, and it definitely brings on emotions. I think the striping looks ok, but what’s important is whether it will bother you or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks fine and a lot less striped than the original piece. on the cover of the chart. But as mentioned by others, if it bothers you, then rrrrriiiiipppp it out. It is not all that much stitching to replace. I know how we associate our pieces with what is going on in our lives. I have the same issue with a piece I worked on when my husband was ill. He eventually passed away and I think of that every time I look at the piece but not in a bad way. I remember what a wonderful human being he was and how much he loved me and I loved him. So this piece of yours is a memory of how far you have come and how fortunate you are to have received a kidney .Make it a good memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A drone passing over will never notice "striping" ... give it time and
    then decide. As you said, there are also pleasant memories attached to this lovely piece; cherish those....it is a very lovely
    piece and may become your triumph framed ..... heritage

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't really matter what we think. It sounds to me that you don't love it so I suggest ripping it out. Agonizing over it is no fun so just Bite the bullet and rip it out!
    I can remember what tv shows I watched while stitching a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about the stripey effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super pick you pulled to work on, Coni! Yes, I look at pieces and the memories spring forward (the good, the happy, the sad, and the ugly).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you I realized I have the Cheetah scissors. Was thinking about selling them on a de-
    stash group. But I might just keep them now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Coni. Love your Brenda Gervais stitching and good luck on the Nancy's Needle Needlepoint project. It's all about the rhythm of the needle isn't it? lol

    ReplyDelete