Nov 8, 2022

IT TOOK ME A MINUTE, BUT I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT



So here I am again in the big girl sleigh bed, reading the papers, having my damn good, and watching the world go by in the sunshine. I was trying to figure out why this makes me so darn happy, when it kinda hit me.




When I was in Indianapolis after getting BellyBean, I spent hours and hours and hours sitting in bed with the paper or my iPad thingie or a book or nothing at all, and I looked out the window and felt the sun on my face and I was so...peaceful and happy and full of a feeling of gratitude and safety and just sheer happy bliss.

(I'm pretty sure industrial strength pharmaceuticals had a lot to do with that, but nevertheless....)

So I sit here in the big girl sleigh bed and those feelings wash over me, and I am so very glad that they're still there. I've got the laundry sploshing away in the laundry machine, I'm finishing my healthy little breakfast/lunch of a banana, blueberries, and a yogurt, and the day is unfolding in front of me.

Chicken gyros for dinner tonight, and with any luck I'll get my salad things prepared for the rest of the week. How do you store your salad stuff so that it stays fresh for several days, Dearies? I'm really trying to learn how to meal prep, but the storage of veg completely eludes me.

I'll leave you with my latest fancypants nails. These are called "Caramel Apple" and are from Lily & Fox:




11 comments:

  1. Love your nails. What helps me with salad and prepared fresh ingredients is to store them in sealed bags with a dry paper towel to absorb excess water. If I made the entire salad I put a dry paper towel on top of the bowl, seal the lid and store upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! I do that with frozen bread, so it thaws without getting weird

      Delete
    2. And change the paper towel daily....

      Delete
  2. Have you heard of vacuum sealing salads? Check out saladinajar.com or a basic internet search for an explanation. I haven’t tried it but I follow a blogger who swears by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your nails! I hope the sun shines for you today :) It is dreary here but no snow yet so that is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use a "thatsa bowl" from Tupperware. it comes in many sizes - i have the 42cup largest one and it holds 4 bags of romaine/greens plus cucumber and pepper chopped up for the week - just put a paper towel on top close the lid and burp. (the lid, not you lol) - it keeps the salad fresh for a good 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nails are so pretty, Coni. Love the color! When you figure out the salad thing, please share. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those nails and I am sure L&F appreciates your sharing since I for one have become a huge fan. I have a Rubbermaid Produce storage container. Once a week I cut & prep carrots, radishes, celery, pea pods, broccoli, or whatever caught my eye at the store. The produce keeper has a grid that keeps them crisp for the week or more. Cucumbers and tomatoes are washed but stored uncut. I wash my greens, chop and put in a zip lock bag with a paper towel. This sounds like a lot of work but it only takes me about 30 minutes and it is all ready to make a salad or just snacks for the week. Also found out that if I put it on the table after dinner DH will snack on veggies. Hope this helps Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the plastic boxes of salad leaf mixes, but in the past the dark leaf lettuce always seemed to go bad within a day or two. I saw a TV program that used a dish towel wrapped around the salad mix. Now my leaf mixes can last up to 2 weeks! Open the plastic box over a dish towel and dump all the leaves out. Wrap them in the towel and place back into the plastic container.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever tried storing your salad in mason jar? You cut your veggies up as usual but in mason jar ....first salad dressing, then tomatoes, celery ,any similar type veggies, next protein and or cheese and finally lettuce type. I do a weeks worth at a time and seventh jar is as fresh as first. You
    Can always add something when you are ready to eat.
    I have been reading your blog for some time...love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete