Sep 2, 2022

I'M ON A MISSION TO CIVILIZE

I'm all over the place today, Dearies, so please bear with me.

First up...a great report from my Bean Team, and I think we might have solved the mystery of my unwellness: medication! Magnesium at night and an uncoated version of one of the immunosuppressants has likely done a number on my guts, so we're switching things up and I should be right as rain before you know it.

I stayed up until the wee hours watching a documentary on Prime called "The Booksellers". I just loved every minute of it, and started to think that my next life should probably include working in the book world if I am to be truly happy. I don't know what that looks like, exactly, but do you suppose I could be an editor or copy editor or publisher's assistant or something? 

Progress in the stitching department, in that I made a nice little start on "Up In The Air":
I need to check the fabric Miss Linda found for me for this. It's a 28ct and quite lovely. Instinct tells me that it's probably a Picture This Plus because of it's subtle shading, but I'm not exactly sure. Stay tuned.



The title of this post comes from some recent frustration I've had with the social medias lately. It seems that I am increasingly sucked into a pit of snark, unsolicited opinion, and general bitchiness lately, and it is really affecting my overall mood and feelings about myself and the world we all live in. 

(I think I'm guilty of being entirely too "thirsty" lately, and am gobbling up attention and praise like a fat kid with a ham sandwich, and am leading with my ego rather than my heart, but that's a whole other problem for a whole other day.)

But I am also noticing more and more incidents of my friends getting bullied or made to feel bad that they are just living their best life and are sharing it with us. I'm tired of hearing about people I love getting hurt on stupid Facebook or Instagram, and I'm really over having to delete crappy comments about something I myself have posted, or how this stuff can take a perfectly lovely day and send it spiraling.

My first thought was to create a team of PEOPLE that you could call on to blast the little trolls that hurt your feelings. So when you're innocently going about your business and come across a comment on one of your posts that hurts your feelings, you can say "Hey....I don't need to worry about this. I've got PEOPLE." And you would send up the little bat signal or drop a note to one of them, and they would go back to the little trolls that hurt your feelings and "take care of things" for you.
Who's with me? 

This thing of ours is precious to me for more reasons than I can possible articulate. I sign on to this stupid iPad thingie as a way to journal myself on this here blog, to check my email and the weather, and then to look at beautiful pictures of stitching and to catch up with my friends. I like the idea that I can make myself a cup of damn good and learn new things, or get all of the happy gossip (like who is getting engaged or who just had a grandbaby graduate from college or what color hubby finally decided to paint the dining room, etc). What I can't stand, though, is the incessant need of the peanut gallery to snark, shame, besmirch, ridicule, or terrorize. I've said it before and I'll say it again...these are not our people.


End of rant.

If you're celebrating such, please enjoy your long weekend and do something full of fun and frolic, and have a hot dog or two for me!  Happy Labor Day and unofficial End of Summer! Hello, Fall!

21 comments:

  1. totally agree with you. I get dragged into the rabbit hole too and it ends up as just a vortex whirling around me. I sling myself out and wonder what caused all of this. People are very snarky these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you and your team have gotten to the bottom of the unpleasantness you've been experiencing. Here's to feeling better and ignoring the turkeys (trying to keep it clean here) on the social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that you now have an explanation for the bleahs! May tweaking the medication give you back your strength and good humour.

    Don't be an editor. I've just retired after 40+ years at it and am thoroughly enjoying being just a stitcher! Basically, an editor cleans up someone else's mess and you are only noticed when you miss something. And the pay is lousy, with no career path. Books should be a pleasure, not a chore.

    No suggestions for dealing with social media. I got off fb about 15 years ago because I encountered too many emotional vampires. I'm grateful to you and the authors of other blogs I follow because you brighten my days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coni. Totally agree with Elaine above but remain on FB to stay connected with family and other happy accounts. Maybe be a book dealer in your next life? Love your stitching and VERY glad to hear about your med tweaking too!! My two cats, Freya and Lilli, send love & licks to you - their "thought for the day" is snuggly times are happy times . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you there. I stopped going on those things, although Youtube is still a mine of information but there are so many unpleasant people spouting hate that I feel for the owner of the channel.
    Glad your meds are now being changed and hopefully you will have a new spring in your step. You need a Little Shop Around the Corner - and a Brinkley in your next life! LOL!
    I always say do whatever makes you happy and don't take any notice of the nasties - they live to upset others and have no life of their own.
    From Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do enjoy your blog and sense of humor. I love your team. You bring a much needed sensibility and fun to the world

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the change of meds does the trick, and you feel great soon. And no damage to your gut. I often wonder how we can teach our school agers it is wrong to bully a classmate, while at the same time we have shows making snarky comments about what celebs wear, and how making fun of anyone differant is acceptable. Grown ups, the kids pick it up by watching adults. And yes I use the term adults losely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the changes in your meds ease the symptoms you've been having. As for social media, I only watch you tube as there's much I can learn and enjoy from many great vloggers. I left FB years ago and never joined any other social media. There's more peace in my life because of this. I really don't care what strangers think of me, my life, my values or my interests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are all with you! I am glad that they have the medications sorted. I bet you feel great soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just watched The Booksellers, so interesting. Thanks for mentioning it in your blog. Have a Happy Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately it seems that some people have decided that it is everyone else's fault that their life is not turning out the way they expected. My response, hard work and effort and a plan enables people to survive and thrive. The other side of this perspective - if you are fortunate to wake up in the morning, you have a whole day ahead of you to be creative, be supportive and have joy in your heart. Appreciate living, and join in events where others enjoy creating and sharing some laughter from time to time. Quilty folks are amazing and I am thankful to my grandmother every day for teaching me the basics of quilting in an era of no electricity or running water. My gosh - she and her friends were truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you actually have already written a book about Master Stewey Angus Wiillowswamp. A book that made me laugh and cry and smile. A wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coni, I am glad your Bean Team appointment went well and hope the medication tweaks help with your gut. I get what you are saying about the unkindness on social media. While I am not on FB, I am on Instagram for the WIPs, finishes and stitching community. It just boggles my mind about the nastiness of people and how they scream about bullies and whatnot, but are bullies themselves. They should have a refresher course in the golden rule. Enjoy your weekend, Coni!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there any way you can block a message as soon as you see that it's snarky? I know nothing about social media, wouldn't touch it with a flagpole. We keep up with dear ones by phone or e-mail or -- heavens! -- by snail transport (I'm an old-fashioned Southern girl). Just don't read the nasty stuff if you can possibly help it. Again, I don't know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I for sure LOVE your blog and hope you don't disappear because of a few (or many) snarkies. Not only would they be winning the battle of civility but you would be missing us and we would surly be missing you and your fabulous sense of humor and kindnesses. Just kick them in the teeth and block them from entering your home. We are all pulling for you and your belly bean to make a complete recovery. You've proved that you are up to any challenge and whoever wants to rain on your parade is not worth the bad mood they generate. Keep on keeping up!!!!!!!!
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I see snarky comments on social media or Next Door app, I can only think of a big, bad spider hunched over their keyboard just waiting to swing down from their web and strike an unsuspecting soul. I’m personally sick of it. Whatever happened to kindness and grace in our time?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally agree. I think I have managed to stay drama free because of a few boundaries I put up for myself. I don't read the snark and keep scrolling. I don't respond either. Those kind of exchanges only make me feel toxic. I actually don't unfriend those negative friends/family I don't want to lose touch with, but I do unfollow. Then the vitriol is not in my feed. I keep my political persuasion to a very private group or in-person conversations. I know we can be accused of only seeing and friending people of like mind, which I don't want to do. Those that I differ with are kinder and more civil when we are face-to-face. It becomes a real dialogue. I decided Twitter was a time suck. Instagram only when I'm looking for something. Lots of musician/theater/stitchy friends on Facebook and there's not the same kind of drama. So far it's still working.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you. I don't understand the people who go out of their way to be mean to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Coni, I take magnesium every day to help with my fibromyalgia. There are different types of magnesium or magnesium in combination with other elements. Maybe a different blend would be of benefit for you. Consult with your bean team.

    There are just crabby people in the world that seem to take joy in being mean. Try to ignore them and find joy in your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally with you, Coni. If all some people can do is make horrible comments, then they must have a very sad life. Stay strong, Coni, we're with you x

    ReplyDelete