Dec 22, 2021

WHAT A DIFFERENCE FOUR YEARS MAKES!



Well, Dearies...there I was. A portly, terrified, very very unwell spinster...all hooked up and wondering how I was going to survive.

But survive I did...by the grace of God and because of the angels here on earth that held my hand, adjusted the machine, patted me on the back and said "You've got this", and reminded me that someday I would write a book about it.

The angels that work in that clinic and that have worked in that clinic but have gone elsewhere are truly deserving of combat pay. I watched them work tirelessly and with love and compassion under extraordinarily awful circumstances sometimes. 

As far as I'm concerned, they should earn millions.

My sister was also a very big part of surviving those early days. I remember that when I came home from that first session, she had decorated CS2 for Christmas. I think she found every wreath, ornament, bow, light....everything I had crammed into the storage closet when I moved here...and put it in the perfect place. And she seemed to understand the exact right thing to say at the exact right moment to say it.

My poor Jersey Boy didn't know what to do with himself for four years, but since he is a worrier by nature, he watched over me and fretted and asked me how I was feeling and tended to my every need like a mother hen. He gave up a lot of fun to just sit with me on days I didn't think I could move one more inch.

And then there's you...my Spinster Nation. How the heck did I get so lucky to be invited to the cool kids' table? You listened to me babble on, opened your hearts (and your wallets) when I needed it most, never told me to just knock it off already, and provided me with more love and encouragement and support than an entire horde (or is it flock) of spinsters could ever deserve.

Today I am grateful. I am looking around at my cozy little home, my overflowing stitchy basket, my full fridge, warm blankets, damn good cups, and.....everything else that makes up this happy little quiet life of mine, and I remember the days when I looked out the window from that dialysis chair and wished I could just do my own thing.

So today I do my own thing with impunity and a very humble and happy heart that I'm here. No worries, chores, frets, or shoulds today....just a happy heart that the next four years are going to be so very very different!

23 comments:

  1. Hallelujah!! So glad you made it through those four tough years and on to a successful transplant! Your attitude is amazing. Your gratitude is on full display! Bring 2022 on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given us so much too! I look forward to your posts 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my happy heart to yours, dear Coni, thank you for taking us with you on this journey. You have taught me not to take anything for granted and to always be grateful for the good and the bad. The bad stretches our hearts and souls if we let it and we are better for it.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to have been included in your cyber circle and to see you come out of the tunnel and into the light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't travel the entire journey with you, but when I caught up I learned so much. First the medical side, then the personal side as well as all the ups and downs. Most memorable is how well you did in keeping your eye on the goal and doing what needed to be done. You have been an inspiration in how to face adversity and you are truly appreciated for that. So here's to a wonderful New Year for you and all you friends near and far!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You deserve the serenity and contentment you share so graciously with us....you have earned it, dear heart, and now
    turning sights to what the future promises in your life....may
    it be abundantly blessed and rewarding....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Coni, as part of your Spinster Nation (and so happy to be included) I want to say that you are an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for sharing this journey of yours. I know it has been a long 4 years before you reached this point in your kidney journey. I wish you much peace and grace as you continue on post-transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to have found your blog and followed your journey! Wishing you the very Merriest Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been entertained by your blog journey of 13 years,and appreciate the parts of your life story you have shared. This must be an especially joyful season for you. I think many of your faithful readers are simply thankful and happy for you. Merry Christmas Coni.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! Well, we do love you girlie! Glad to be a part of that Spinster Nation.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m so very happy for you, and I’ve been amazed by how you’ve handled the last 4 years. I wish you many more blessings and much health in the new year and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic, such a beautiful view of the past to encourage the future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure I can speak for all of us: the pleasure of knowing you is immense and we are privileged to share your life, with all its ups and downs, though of course we much prefer the ups. Thank you for letting us know you. And, as a good friend of mine ssays, Merry Everything and Happy Always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You truly got this dear Spinster...happier of Holidays to you and yours..looking forward to seeing what stitching mischief you'll get into next year....luv,
    MaryO

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been an inspiration to those of us battling other diseases. Your stitching escapades bring joy into my life as I do my own stitching journey. Merry Christmas from the south side of South Bend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do believe you learned whatever lesson was there for you in that long desert walk. Now it's time to change gears, move on, use the gift of your new life wisely- and write that book! :) Merry, blessed Christmas, Coni. --p.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good for you Connie you and JB have a great Christmas & look forward to many more
    from Roo across the pond in dear old Blighty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year , Coni like everyone else says glad to be reading your blog you are a rock and you deserve the best

    ReplyDelete
  19. You certainly have come a long way in 4 years, Coni. I'm so pleased for you to now be able to live your life.
    Wishing you the best Christmas ever x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an uplifting post! You mean a lot to us who check in on you. Best of Christmases and 2022 to you and your dearest ones.

    ReplyDelete