Dec 21, 2021

IN WHICH WE'RE AULD LANG SYNE-ING ALL OVER THE PLACE


The Googles tells me that auld lang syne means "times long past", and I'm feeling it very deeply this week. Magoo is on his way to New Jersey to see his mom, and I was thinking about years past when Stewey and I would decorate Chez Spinster, make the damn Greek cookies, and then eat Honey Baked Ham with Bosco and Aunt Chrissy on Christmas Day in front of the fireplace while the boys went head first into their big felt Christmas bags.

Today I said farewell to one of the most important women in my life...my very dear, very smart, very lovely Dr Barbara Niklinska. She's retiring after being my primary care physician, and I will miss her terribly. Over the last twenty-two years she has treated me and all of my issues with complete professionalism and gentleness, and had answers to every question I had...no matter how crazy or insignificant. 

Tomorrow will mark the four year anniversary of my first dialysis treatment, and I looked back at my posts from then and saw how completely terrified I was and how completely amazing my techs and nurses were to get me through it all.

Don't get me wrong, Dearies. I'm not maudlin or sad or upset or whistful. I am, instead, amazed at how much can change in such a small space of time, and how those changes can bring you to a whole new chapter of your life that's filled with a wonderfulness of its own.

As soon as I get my provisions put away, I'm going to plant myself in front of the TeeVee with another cup of damn good, a pile of unread newspapers, and some stitching.

Tonight... Chinese food for dinner!

What's new with you?


8 comments:

  1. A good primary care physician is worth their weight in gold. It is so hard to break in a new doctor and get them up to speed, especially when like your and me, you've a medical record that makes War and Peace look like a short story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! Thanks for sharing your journey with so much courage and humor! You are an inspiration to me. I have a few minor health issues and find it very hard to find patience. I drive my health care people crazy because I read everything on google….I have had doctors that are too rushed, uncommunicative, closed minded, etc. you have been fortunate with your doctor. Hope you get a good replacement. Hang in there… get rested up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 years! It doesn't actually seem like it - although it probably felt more like 8 to you! You have held your sense of humour through oh so many awful times. I'd have been scared too in that situation, but still out pops that humour again and again.
    Sad to lose a good doctor, I do hope that whoever fills her shoes can keep to her standards.
    It won't be long before Mr JB is back home with you. All the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful you are home, recovering, and not facing another holiday season with dialysis. I've been reflective also this week. Perhaps things slowed down enough I have had time to do that. May you find a wonderful new doctor, enjoy the holidays with JB and continue healing. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coni, I can't believe it was four years that you started with d-chair. But I am glad that you were given the gift of a new kidney. I hope your old PCP enjoys her retirement and I hope you are blessed with an extremely caring new one. Thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing much new from this area. Hanging on until the holidays are over, debating if I should make a schedule to follow since I'm not getting much done. Or at least not as much as I think I was going to in retirement.

    It's hard to remember when you kidney woes wasn't a major part of your blog (NOT complaining!), yet it's a small part of how long you've been blogging. One of those odd time warp things that goes on in my head I guess. I hope your new doctor works out as well as Dr Niklinska did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to your doctor on her retirement! I hope your next doctor is just as wonderful as Dr Niklinska was. I am shocked that 4 years ago is when you started dialysis! In some ways it does seem like it has been 4 years and others it seems like such a shorted amount of time. I'm glad those days are behind you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't reading your blog four years ago and have been a little curious as to how long you were on dialysis. What a trip you've been on. My oncologist of 20 years retired last year, and I felt glad for her but slightly anxious for me. I went through chemo with her in 2000, then saw her frequently for 5 years, then annually ever since. I owed her a lot of gratitude and thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete