Dec 29, 2021

AN EXPEDITION...TO BE SURE




 

Holey Schmoley, Dearies!

I made it down to Indianapolis without incident, and was checked into my usual room by late afternoon. After a little rest and a few minutes of TeeVee to decompress, I ordered dinner from the usual place, ate, and climbed in bed early to read and get a good night's sleep.

Clinic started bright and early with labwork at 7, then vitals, then a trip to the pharmacy to pick up eleven prescriptions (yikes!), breakfast, and then back to see the doctor. In between, there was a lot of waiting around, book-reading, and...waiting around.

I saw Dr Tabler...the OG of the IU Transplant Unit. I think he might have been one of the original founders of the program, and I know that he is/was the Big Cheese. He was just lovely...went through all of my results (which were good and almost exactly the same as before), took a peek at my incision, and sent me on my way without a word about my significant weight gain since surgery!

(My head was still spinning when the coordinator patted me on the head, confirmed a few details, and told me to come back in a month.)

The drive home was a decent into meteorological hell. When I came out of the hospital it was drizzling and about 46 degrees. By the time I got to the north part of the city (and my Starbucks stop) it was pouring and 42. Then, over the course of the next three hours it went from heavy rain to heavy rain with fog, to frozen fog, to sleet, and then finally to snow.

I arrived home in a blizzard and 30 degrees.

This one wore me out, so I headed to bed for a nap and stayed there until it was time to have dinner, and then after dinner I headed right back to bed and stayed there until very late this morning! I. Am. Bushed!

Today will definitely be a pj day, and tomorrow morning bright and early I will fetch my JB from the train. If I can, I'm going to attempt assembly of a winter stitchy basket today, but if I don't have the energy I'll wait until the weekend.

But....there will definitely be a long period of grateful prayer that my new kidney seems to like his new home, and despite my worry, I did't get yelled at by anybody at all.

New leaf, new routine, new schedule for the new year!

How about you?

16 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that the visit went so well AND that you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava on the good report and being silently pardoned for your
    anticipated mea culpa. That return home sounds traumatic and
    that's when the decompression process was really needed and hopefully found while resting in your own bed. Enjoy the anticipation of your JB's return to welcome in a New Year of good health and all the promise awaiting you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news that your kidney is doing well. And that JB is coming home soon. And you made it through gross weather. Good wishes for your eating plan in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great set of results and consultations! I'm so glad for you and your happy kidney! Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such good news... but driving in W E A T H E R I do understand. Living in California but growing up in Mpls. I remember unplowed sidewalks and streets and walking up hill to school.... both.... oh I guess you've heard that one. But its rained much of the last week here and traveling with 1000's of other travelers on the Wednesday evening before Christmas eve was scary and at times, I was unable to make out the lines on the freeway. You're results sound positive, and it's a great way to start 2022! You know like we all know, that the weight doesn't come off magically, but through hard work and yes, 2022 is a new leaf. Your Donor thought of you living the life for them and with them along for the ride! I hope they appreciate how much work you do and put into your needlework. I'm hand quilting a quilt this weekend... oh and many more weekends I think (Not too many I hope). I'm taking tomorrow off work (Cause I can) for a nice long stitchy weekend myself. One trip on the way home to Aldi's and I'm set for the weekend. Train? There is a train that comes close to your home? Amtrack? Hmmmm my sister is in Fort Wayne but we're moving her to Elgin Ill. hopefully in January... I hadn't thought of a train from Indy to Fort Wayne. Happy New Year you sweet THANG! Ruth in Oxnard CA>

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, HOW WONDERFUL CONI!!!! HURRAY!!! HUGS & KISSES & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF US!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific! Happy news again, you are doing so well. A long trip in awful weather - and finally snow - does take a lot of concentration which is exhausting in itself plus the relief of being on tenterhooks regarding the weight. No wonder you needed a big rest.
    Happy New Year to you and Mr JB and to everyone else. May the weather be more amenable for all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a successful medical visit and you made it back home safely. Wishing you and JB a happy and healthy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you got all your appointments and good news before the weather turned to crap on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful news from the medical staff! And even better news that you made it safely home! Wishing you and JB a VERY happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rejoicing that your visit went so very well, and that your "new 'kid' on the block" is behaving! You get all the rest you need, and have fun with JB and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoo hoo you're good to go! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your Indy visit went well, Coni! And that you returned home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats on your great results! And extra special congrats for driving in that weather. We live in Ontario, Canada and each winter I become more paranoid about driving the highway in bad weather - so much so that I will avoid it at all costs! Happy New Year to you and your JB!

    ReplyDelete