Oct 18, 2021

IN WHICH THE SPINSTER DISCOVERS THAT SHE IS NOT IN CHARGE OF THIS WHATSOEVER

Phooey.

For as wonderful as I felt on Friday...the wheels have come off the recovery bus entirely.

Energy level is zero. Mood is...ugh.  And pain is just...a pain.

But, as per usual, I am learning a lot about my crazypants self through this. I am such a linear thinker, that a non-linear situation just throws me for a loop. And a kidney transplant is the very definition of a non-linear situation.

When I came down in August, I had that big life-changing epiphany that there would be no place for ego in this little exercise, and that the best way for me to get through it would be to surrender control. That doesn't mean surrendering responsibility....no ma'am. It simply means that this recovery is not going to progress according to any plan that I can devise, but rather according to how it is supposed to.

I was initially going to describe it as one step forward and six steps back, but the truth is that the steps are ALL forward...sometimes, though, forward isn't in the direction I think it is.

I had the entire place to myself last night. Denise and Jeff headed back to Lima in the afternoon, and Rich will be here later today. I have to confess....being quiet and here by myself was a treat. 

So today I'm just going to rest. In a little bit I will get up and perform my morning routine of bathing and getting into nice clean clothes (thanks to Denise doing my laundry for me), and I will eat carefully, and drink my five or six liters of fluid. 

I'm using trips back and forth to the ice machine as a way to get some steps in, and sitting up in different positions as much as I can to try to use all of those core muscles that are mending.

My goal is to get stitching again, because I know that nothing else will fix this head of mine. I'm contemplating which project to pick up and which to tuck into my clinic bag...stay tuned for that one. I could, though, use some advice. How do you chart something custom to add to a piece? I have decided that I want to chart "September 30, 2021" in a really cool font as the space-filler on my Pretty Pumpkin piece, but I don't have a clue how to do this. 

Thoughts?

So, happy Monday to one and all! I hope you had a wonderful weekend, and that the days ahead are full of fun and frolic for you and yours! Come tell me all about it!

15 comments:

  1. Charting something for cross stitch is easy. I've used different computer programs but it can be done by hand, although that can take longer. You'll need graph paper, a pencil and an eraser. There are free alphabet charts on the internet (Lord Libidan has 30 on his website - I can find the link) and also free graph paper in different sizes (I have a link somewhere). You may want to experiment with different alphabets and numbers. You'll also have to determine how much space you have for the date, how many stitches will fit in that space. Not every alphabet has matching numbers, but you should be able to find something. Does the hotel have a printer that guests can use? I hope this all makes sense. I think adding the date is a wonderful idea. Anne in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count how many blocks you have to stitch on. Then mark the center of those blocks. Choose your font and draw it out on graph paper or the edge of any pattern that is grafted. Count how many blocks (holes) it takes,find the center. I usually start at the center and work backwords and forwards. It is a great idea to stitch the date! You don't have to do it all in one row, you can do September,then the date, then the year



    ReplyDelete
  3. Stitch Fiddle. Chart anything

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got as far as recommending graph paper and then admitted I have no idea how to this for cross stitch. You get to do the tutorial after you figure it out (lol) Keep your spirits high!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can download custom graph paper from the Internet. Just do a google search. There are plenty of free alphabet charts online that you can find by doing a search for cross-stitch alphabet charts. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, they are all steps forward! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne is right, charting is dead easy. I like to use 10-to-the-inch graph paper, just make sure the 10 squares are darkened, it will make your life easier. I like to use mechanical pencils so I don't have to worry about sharpening them, and have one of those artist's Magic Rub or Vinyl Erase-Clear erasers. If you're working into an existing piece, it helps do put in at least some of the area you'll be working under or between so you can get your date just where you want it. The internet has tons of free alphabets floating around. Warning: once you find out how easy charting stitching is, it's addictive. I'm constantly charting, re-charting, even designed some of my own pieces, I now have books of alphabets and antique sampler motifs. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's an enormous selection of fonts at patternmakercharts(dot)blogspot(dot)com, from small, neat and tidy to over-the-top large and ornate. That site is a wonderful rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coni, I love your perspective on "progress", especially in light if an organ transplant. Forward, sideways, diagonally, but not back! I've so far been blessed to not have had any kind of major surgery so i'm curious (and this is true wanting to understand), why aren't you able to stitch yet? Is the pain level too high, the pain meds make you drowsy, swollen fingers? Whatever it is, I hope stitching soon for you, it is soothing to the soul. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep going, you're doing great! The date will be the perfect add-on for Pretty Pumpkin. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your idea about adding the date to your pumpkin piece. There are some really good suggestions in the above comments. Thinking of you and continuing to pray for this healing journey of yours, Coni.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just finished charting my granddaughter's name for her Christmas stocking. This means I am approaching finishing it, yayyyy. Mary Corbet's Needle n Thread site has much info on embroidered (not cross stitch) monograms if you want to consider back stitching or script style. So good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely to read your updates Coni, you are doing amazingly! I'm so pleased for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding the date to the Pretty Pumpkin piece is a great idea! Prayers coming your day as you move forward in your recovery. - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ve used graph paper, but really like using PC Stitch software. I will chart the edge portion of my pattern and then add the wording...that way you can move it around and see what placement looks best, adjust your lettering, etc. They do have a trial version you could use for this and decide if it’s the right thing for you.

    ReplyDelete