Jan 28, 2021


 


Hi, Dearies!

I wasn't going to blogblog today...was just going to post the thingy above, but my second cup of damn good just kicked in and I am now semi-awake.

Yesterday was a complete cluster-youknowwhat. I was late to the d-chair because my car was enclosed in a cocoon of ice and crusty snow and no matter how hard I tried to clear it...it wouldn't budge. (I know, I know. Time to consider a remote car starter.) Then, I decided to pass out at the end of treatment, and finally, just for kicks, my access decided to spring forth as I was walking to the restroom and I made the hallway and path back to my chair look like a freakin crime scene.

(It's not easy being me.)

Poor Nurse Wendy just didn't know what to do with me, and had just removed all of the protective pads, etc from the chair and she had to run for gloves, which caused her to pull her back out, and then after we got the bleeding to stop the poor thing had to sit down and catch her breath.

(I hate being high-maintenance.)

So I've just hung up the phone after talking to my transplant co-ordinator at IU. I was supposed to go down there next week for a visit with Dr Goggins and the team, but I am still freaked by covid, so we moved it forward again. 

I am, however, happy to report that I am still right up there at the "top" of the list. What this means is that I am in the top ten or so recipients in this region. When a kidney comes in, there are tons of factors that they match up with recipients to find the perfect fit. So....it's not a linear progression for transplant. Does this make sense? I swear, it was just five minutes ago that I myself finally understood it. 

All I know is that transplant will be sooner that later. Days, weeks, or months instead of years.

You know, now that I think of it, I should probably be kinda proud of myself for not wigging out more than I do. For a control freak/anxiety junkie/planner waiting for a kidney and not knowing when it's coming should be enough to throw me over the proverbial cliff, but I am remarkably at peace over all of it.

Age? Wisdom? Industrial grade pharmaceuticals?

Well, let's not think about it too closely and just chalk it up to the bubble of love and good vibes and happiness that surrounds me because of this thing of ours. I swear, kids, we should figure out how to bottle this and sell it.

(Maybe in my next life.)

Enough babbling. Breakfast and the papers and then a video visit with Dr Melfi today. Then, after a quick walk (I hope), some stitchy time!

Happy Thursday! I hope you are warm and safe and dry and happy today. Do something fun and come tell me all about it!

12 comments:

  1. Yes Yes Yes. I’m a child of the sixties. Still love a mumu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing for you is that IU Hospital controls the vaccine for mid-central Indiana. Not so good for those of us who use other hospitals. The other good thing for you is that IU is vaccinating their contractors (even if they don't meet state requirements). Not so great for those of waiting for the state requirements to change again and actually include those with reduced immune systems. Probably not as bad as you think at IU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in northwestern Indiana, unfortunately, so I fall outside of the IU bubble. Here in St Joseph county, we have no idea when we'll be eligible. My techs and nurses have not yet received the vaccine and have been told it might be March or April before they get it and May or June before patients (like me) who don't live in nursing homes will get it.

      IU transplant is, however, working with the state to see if people in their protocol can get it sooner...so we'll see.

      Delete
  3. So sorry about the glitch yesterday...all things considered,
    you are responded with calm and grace. Good news on the kilos and your place in the transplant line...it will happen in His and the best time for you. You inspired and I had salmon for dinner-delicious...Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think YOU are high maintenance, the treatment of kidney disease is the high maintenance. You have absolutely no control of what happens. Personally, I think you do a damn fine job of rolling with the punches. Here's sending you good vibes for having everything match for the next available kidney. In the meantime, we keep cheering you on. Hugs and Love from Tucson. (where it snowed day before yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! What a day! Glad you felt well enough to stop on here to say hi. And there is nothing wrong with a casual wrap dress :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the ordeal Coni bounces back with humour. A true Weeble - wobbles but never falls down. Hang in there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I am quite Weeble-like in my figure, too, so I'vegot that going for me!

      Delete
  7. You're amazing. And such a pleasure to read. Your daily doings make my scoliosis seem like a picnic. Your writing raises my alertness and willingness to see the humorous side of things. Can't have too much of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Casual wrap dress" works for me! You're in Indiana! In Texas here. I'm a transplant, actually from Kansas, a state I dearly love, but Texas called me and I had to come. I live in what the natives call "West Texas" which is just down and next to the "Panhandle". I love all these geographical terms. Anyway, I do enjoy your blog very much. I commiserate with you on your recent experience and fully understand the horror/indignity/unpleasantness of it all. I have spent more than my share of time in the hospital and what the medical people won't do to you hasn't been thought up yet. Jus' sayin'. It is indeed a blessing that you have such a sense of humor about it and that you can write about it so eloquently. Keep up the good work! And the stitching, too! You are a gifted stitcher!

    ReplyDelete