Dec 9, 2020

NO SHAME IN MY NEEDLEPOINT GAME!


 So there I was, minding my business and happily stitching along, when I heard THE VOICE.

THE VOICE said "What are you doing to that canvas! You can't stitch that beautiful canvas all tent stitch! You need compound stitches and beads and embellishments and exotic fibers known only to six people on the planet! You need to do things with your needle that nobody has ever thought of! You need glitz! You need glamour! You need sparkle and dazzle and pain in your head because your tiny little brain is trying to think in six dimensions from seven different angles! You need to make this canvas POP with complicated  plans that will require a slide rule and an expert to interpret! STOP RUINING THIS WITH TENT STITCH!!"

That stupid voice was what stopped me from enjoying needlepoint. I have all of these beautiful canvases and a room full of thread, but I stopped thinking about stitching them for fear that I would "ruin" them.

Fortunately, my better senses prevailed last night and I told THE VOICE to be quiet and I got on with it. And...my tiny little brain reminded me that Aunt Chrissy and I visited Wool and Willow, a needlepoint shop in the Cleveland area, and the ladies gathered around the table stitching were mostly stitching their canvases in tent (or basketweave) stitch.

And you know what?

They. Were. Gorgeous.

I'm going to be stitching this canvas in tent stitch, Dearies. I need a little tent stitch in my life right now. I need the quiet rhythm of just hearing the canvas say "Here, Spinster. Just poke your needle here up and down diagonally according to the handy color guide we've painted for you and breathe easily and relax and let all of the stress and tension flow out of your body. Re-boot and suck in the calm, and know that when this piece is finished you will treasure it for years and years to come."

Happy Wednesday, Dearies! What's on your agenda for the day.



18 comments:

  1. Some designs are better done in tent stitch, like this one. There's so much going on that adding fancy stitches wouldn't work and would prove frustrating. Using a metallic braid sparingly (in tent stitch) would provide a little bit of sparkle if you want it. Let the lovely design shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got in my stash one more time. I have a printed canvas that I love and I put it away for the same reason. I now will pull it out (and all threads) and fall in love enough to work on it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go right to the heart of it. We're so busy critiquing our efforts that we forget to enjoy and let the canvas speak. I always criticize myself for just using basketweave/tent and not fancy schmancy stitches. Why oh Why can't I be more like the Marquis Sisters on Instagram, I say, and hang my head at my sad lack of bling and complex and knowledge. And I do agree with Sara Leigh that some (lots) designs are better in tent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Needlepoint voice in Coni's head. Relax! Yes, sometimes canvases want to have fancy pants stitches and all sorts of stuff. But this canvas, with all it's intricate patterns calls our for tent stitch. Instead, voice, you can drool over the lovely silk threads that are being used for stitching!

    (From someone who often hears the same voice)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The design is intricate enough to eradicate all voices of "please complicate it with diversity"...Anything more than tent/basketweave would only add to eye-muscle strain or moral
    frustration... Simplicity of execution it is.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the piece wherever it takes you. Am working on granddaughter's needlepoint stocking this week. Have used some variation in stitches, but simple ones. I need to finish it for next year (she's now said twice).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your canvas your business! Go forth and tent! As for me, I have just had a reported Covid case at one of my HOA Communities so I must notify everyone so they can get hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you seen the canvas that says there are no needlepoint police? Besides, this Mindy canvas is made for basketweave! I have been needlepointing for 51 years, and as a friend of mine says, I am glad I know how to do all the fancy stitches but all I want to do much of the time
    Is basketweave. It is soothing and easy to do while watching tv.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just tell that VOICE..."Listen Buster, less is more...hush up!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. In churches that I have visited over the years, the cushions/kneelers (sorry don't know the term) have had many made with tent stitch and some are such beautiful cushions. I'm sure the heart will be beautiful too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you can travel again, you need to visit Eye of the Needle in Lexington, KY. They also value the beauty of a canvas worked in basketweave. This canvas will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coni, there is nothing wrong with wanting to use the tent stitch on your piece. Glad you shushed THE VOICE! And yes, you are worthy of needlepoint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you told that little voice to bugger off! It will be beautiful no matter what :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow - I'm so glad someone else hears that voice. The guilt is not worth it. There is tremendous beauty in the design itself and the rhythm and simplicity of that stitch can be quite soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mother did must tent stitch things and I treasure them. So easy, so simple, so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother did must tent stitch things and I treasure them. So easy, so simple, so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mother did must tent stitch things and I treasure them. So easy, so simple, so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad that you talked about that voice because I hear it too. I think that basketweave is a wonderful stitch and can be so soothing to do and to look at. Remember that there are no needlepoint police.

    ReplyDelete