Oct 15, 2020

CARDIAC DAY...PHOOEY

 Hello, Dearies.

Today was the day to go to the hospital for all of my cardiac testing for transplant. I have to do this every year, and every year I work myself up into quite the hot mess beforehand, because I know what's coming.

Have you ever had a chemical stress test/Lexiscan? Instead of running on a treadmill, you sit in a chair all hooked up to the machine, and they inject a vaso-dilator into you that makes you think you're dying, having a heart attack, stroke, and going to throw up all over your old lady sweatshirt until they give you an antidote.

Fun stuff,

Then...after they give you a Rice Krispy treat and a diet Sprite (as if THAT'S going to make it all better), they make you sit in a waiting room full of sick people before hauling you across the haul and then stuffing you into a scanner that very closely resembles a weapon of mass destruction....but is not.

And then the nuclear scientist named Steve starts hitting buttons and cranks and levers and whatnot and you suddenly find yourself strapped to a table with your arms above your head, Katy Perry singing in your ear, and pitiful hot salty panic attack tears rolling out of your eyeballs and into your ears.

But it's done, and I don't need to worry about it until next year...and never again if I find my kidney. And...knowing that all is well with my heart and lungs is definitely worth a few moments of discomfort, so I'm going to shut up now and get back to my damn good and some stitching.

What are you doing today?

15 comments:

  1. I recently had major surgery. Didn't go thru that one but did have plenty of other anxiety inducing torture tests so I know how you feel. You are already feeling lousy and all you want is to be safe at home in your bed.Even tho the techs tell you what to expect and you are doing great, that is not how it feels! Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to have one of those stress tests next week - and I am dreading it with every fiber of my being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best advice I can give you is to swish your feet back and forth like windshield wipers and focus on your breathing. Moving your feet will move the drug through your system faster and focusing on your breathing will greatly help alleviate any symptoms. And, dear Amanda, please know that most people do this test without feeling anything at all! I'm just a little extra, that's all!

      Delete
    2. My cardiologist describes it as "Getting kicked in the chest by a mule." Not words to inspire confidence as I have been kicked by a mule, let's not talk about how many decades ago, and still have the lump on my leg where she got me.

      Delete
    3. Amanda, I'll be right there...virtually holding your hand and telling you that you've got this! Anybody who has been kicked by a mule will think this is a walk in the park. You go, Dearie!

      Delete
  3. Awwww, bless your heart, dear one. It is over and the good news is, you got good news (sound heart and lungs) Now on to the main event.... Enjoy the damn good and some hours of relaxation and recovery. Some easeful stitching might just do the trick.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretend you have a magic eraser and use it to erase slk tbr bad,parts of tbis,experiencr and rememberthe good.partd@
    Then enjoy your stitching time. I had one of a stress,test that way and UGH. Hang i girl.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, you made it through! Getting worked into a hot mess is completely understandable....virtual hugs and hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have had that test, twice. It was definitely not fun, we both survived so that's a positive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you my courageous Spinster! Now you have the weekend ahead of you to schlep around in your cosy robe and stitch....hope you have a great obe...luv, m๐Ÿฅ€๐ŸŒน๐Ÿต๐Ÿ’ฎ๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒท⚘๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like torture to me! Egads woman, that was an ordeal and a half. Luckily for me, not yet. Moving your feet is good for keeping the blood circulating - had to do that when I broke my ankle! Scrunching toes is good too. Well done and lets hope you get that kidney soon.

    Here it has been pleasant weather, barn is coming on nicely and the kitties racing round like thoroughbreds on a course. In the field the drakes are posturing for team leader position. Honestly, men!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coni, while it is not a fun activity to endure, you made it through and don't have to return for another year unless that kidney shows up at your door. Hope the rest of your day was relaxing and peaceful. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had the chemical stress test. I didn't find it too terrible. But, I have a friend who is very hard of hearing Her doctor recommended a chemical stress test because she is unable to walk much. Because she did not understand what the techs and the doctor told her about what was to happen, when the drugs started to take effect she went into complete panic mode. It took hours to calm her down. They never did finish that stress test, but later, her doctor was able to explain it so that she did understand, and she had the test another day and it wasn't nearly as stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your heart. From your description and others' comments, I can only hope I never have to have one. So glad there's no long "recovery" from that, and you can enjoy your Joy Juice and your stitching. You're in my Prayer Box for that kidney.

    ReplyDelete