Oct 24, 2020

AND ON SATURDAY WE MAKE SNACK PLATES FOR JB MAGOO

 

You all know that I love my JB Magoo, but sometimes a spinster just needs a minute with her needle and thread. I finally got the bright idea to present the Big Ass Plate O' Snacks early, so I can get myself situated in the Happy Chair.

(The equivalent of giving a baby a pacifier, I suppose.)

(Except my JB Magoo isn't a baby at all, actually. He's a lovely grown man who does nice things for me like get new tires on the car and who comes to fetch me from the d-chair when I'm too woozy to drive.)

Yesterday was such a day, and I finally realized that I am not going to be able to pull nine pounds of fluid off without severe consequences. First camp the cramping in my abdomen, legs, and left arm (and no, there is no worse pain), and then the cold sweat, being pulled backwards through a tunnel feeling before losing consciousness.

The good news is that my tech Lori is completely non-plussed by all of this, and she usually comes to my chair, flips me onto my head, and administers saline until I come back. Every time this happens and I open my eyes I see Lori looking at me and shaking her head before saying "Calm down, Heiffer. I've got you."

Or words to that effect.

Seriously, all is well. I have made the mental adjustment to accept the fact that getting to 112kg is going to take me more than ten minutes, and I am just staying the course and being super super aware.

I missed my Spinster Saturday Abed, but I did manage to take a cup of damn good in there and have a nice long two hour conversation on the phone with my sister instead. I think it's been five years since we've done that...talked that long. We text each morning and keep each other updated on stitchy things or recipes, or other minor subjects, but it's not the same as having a real conversation.

Transplant prep is coming along nicely. I have the luggage out and designated for hospital, hotel, toiletries, and comfort (*) and will physically pack them in the next few days. The biggest thing was to sit down and write checklists for each, so when the time comes I can rest assured that I've got everything.

(*) My comfort bag will have a book, a stitching project, Stewey, a fuzzy blanket, and all of the stupid little things in the basket next to my Happy Chair like lip balm, eye drops, a nippy thingie for hangnails, pens, mints, handcream....all of the crap that you never think about needing until you do.

OK.

Back to chilling with some stitching, Dearies. Are you doing the same today? Come tell me all about it!

8 comments:

  1. Lucky J B MAGOO! Should last all afternoon! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need more books while in Indy, call, email, etc. Check with your local library to see if they have Libby. It's a wonderful app that lets you read books on a tablet or phone. You just need your library card, wi-fi to get the book, then download and you are set. I also use it for audio books, especially for driving or being outside. Some of my friends like them for stitching too. Take care of yourself - no fasting. It never seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked; Indy uses OverDrive, which is what my county library system used before they went with Libby. They're both good services. The library e-book services were a godsend last year when I spent over nearly 12 weeks in the hospital. Also make sure your tunes are all ready and up to date, and the set-ups for any streaming services like NetFlix or Prime. I forgot my Pandora password during my stress test earlier this week. Luckily the tech used her cell phone, or it would have been a loooong 8-10 minutes on that scan.

      Delete
  3. Ooh it is all happening chez Coni.
    No stitching here, but I'm basting the quilt ready to sew.
    Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coni, good planning and good thinking on starting now! I took part in Friendstitch (the virtual retreat put on by Heart in Hand and Bent Creek) on Saturday. Today is back to the usual Sunday things to be accomplished. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to nitpick, but I see this error so often...

    "Nonplussed" means the same thing as "taken aback." So when you say that Lori was completely nonplussed, you are saying that she was extremely concerned with what was happening.

    Supposedly, so many people misunderstand the meaning that dictionaries are starting to include both "taken aback" and "unfazed" as correct definitions. Which is crazy, because they're completely opposite definitions, so what good is that, LOL? Just more confusion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...I have been using nonplussed wrong my entire life! Needless to say, Lori was absolutely and completely unfazed.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful looking snack plate! JB is a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete