Nov 7, 2011

WELL, SLAP MY MOMMA. (NO, SERIOUSLY. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SLAP MY MOMMA.)

She was left to her own devices. Against all better judgement and against all federal, state, and local authorities, my stupid mo-ther was allowed to spend time in the kitchen yesterday -- concocting God knows what until it was time to haul her off to bed.

It all started with packages of Jello pudding TURTLE flavor. TURTLE flavored pudding! Why, in the name of all that is holy, do we need TURTLE flavored pudding?!

She futzed and grunted and stirred and whipped, and after a few hours I heard her tell my Aunt Chrissy "OMG! You will not BEE-LEEVE what I just made!!!! I just made a TURTLE PUDDING pie with homemade toffee!!"

Apparently, the recipe called for caramel ice cream topping, and since she ate all of that on the ride home from the grocery store last week, she had to make it from scratch. (Or, in this case, from a recipe that she saw on the Ina a few weeks ago.) Butter, brown sugar, cream, and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Let is rest. Vwa-la.

Then she spread that in the bottom of a graham cracker pie crust, topped it with the TURTLE flavored pudding, and then piped whipped cream all over the top of it.

(Gag orders issued by the courts prevent me from describing what happened next, but let's just say that I'm not sure I'm ever going to get the stains out of the front of her old lady sweatshirt.)

Aside from all of those shenanigans, she did manage to hang her Prairie Moon piece in The Gallery. (OK. It's only the hallway that leads from the laundry room, but we need all the help we can get trying to sophisticate up this place, so a "Gallery" it 'tis.)

I don't know if you will be able to see the frame, but it has lovely highlights that match the color of the linen:

There was also a bit of stitching on the Prairie Schooler piece, and I would guess that it was the pie next to the word "doorway" that prompted the whole TURTLE pudding experiment:
Other than that, it was a rather un-eventful weekend. Mom and Aunt Chrissy ran errands on Saturday and came home giggling about going to the Rural King for trash cans and bird food. You would have thought that they had discovered Mars or something the way they were going on about it. From what I know, the Rural King is simply a store where you can buy everything from tractor parts to marshmallows, so I'm not sure why they were surprised at the availability of cheap bird food and trash cans in which to store it.

That's about it for a Monday. I'll let you know how long the TURTLE pudding pie lasts.

With love from your pal,
Stewey

P.S. I've just been informed that TURTLE pudding does not, in fact, taste of actual turtles. So with respects to all of the above....well...nevermind.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Coni--
    Turtle sounds so tempting! At our house, we begin holiday eating on Halloween, and finish on Super Bowl Sunday.... and this fits right in!
    And I love the way your Halloween stitching turned out. The framing is perfect for the piece and for the Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The framed "tis the trick" is just beautiful!! Congrats on it and the pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your framed piece is great!

    now...I must check out turtle pudding. I saw Pumpkin spice yesterday but did not see Turtle.

    sounds like a winner....happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yummy Turtle pie ~ you should give it a try Stewey ~ it's delicious...

    Lovely, lovely finish on Prairie Moon's "Thine is the Trick and the Treat" and beautiful framing Coni!

    And your Thanksgiving PS piece is coming along beautifully ~ I really need to start stitching this one~~~ Blessings always in stitches...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Stewie,

    My girl saw this and thought your Momma might like it. She told me to pass it on to you.

    http://theberry.com/2010/06/01/afternoon-eye-candy-jeffrey-dean-morgan-30-photos/

    They have a lot in common, old lady sweatshirts, stitching, ( your Momma is better then the girl.) an appreciation og Jeffrey Dean-age, and a JRT who does what he can to keep order.

    Good Luck

    Dash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Miss Quoted, I thank you on behalf of women around the globe on the JDM link.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS FINISH!! If you are interested in selling the pattern, please contact me! rubberkeyhole@gmail.com

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stitching is great but I am not too sure about Turtle Pie! lol

    Hugs, Kaye xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jealous, the grocery stores down here have hardly any selection of flavors in pudding.

    Your framed piece is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sally, I do my best for womankind everywhere - me, I'm and Adam Baldwin kinda gal, but I can appreciate Jeffrey Deanage any day.

    By the way Coni, I love the finished piece it is gorgeous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, hush my mouth! I saw Jeffrey Dean Morgan on the Craig Ferguson show tonight. NOW I understand what you see in him. What a smart, amusing, delicious morsel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *is drooling over the turtle pie*

    Love the finish and the frame Coni!

    Stewey: Don`t knock it til you`ve tried it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Loved your little rant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that pie sounds absolutely delicious! Love the Thine is the Trick stitch - BE-U-TI-FUL!!

    ReplyDelete