Jul 23, 2010

ARE WE THERE YET?



Woo Hoo! As you can see from the above pic, I managed to finish the yellow ring around the flower last night. This look was achieved by couching Boucle thread with a single ply of floss. To couch, you basically just lay the thread on the canvas, smoosh it into the shape that you want, and then tack it down with floss.

Smoosh.

It's a technical term.

I know that a lot of yous out there in Stitchy Blogville are cross stitchers who say "Oh, that looks really cool, but I could never do something like that." Well, please allow me to affirm that:

1. If I can do it, you can too. Absolutely. I'm not kidding. No, really. I'm about as bright as a 20 watt bulb, so if I'm able to sit in the Happy Chair and putz around until the needle hits the canvas properly, then you can most definitely do it with your eyes wide shut.

2. As my Stitching Sen-say Aunt Chrissy likes to say: "Cross stitchers know how to read a chart. Once you figure out how to adjust your brain to counting threads versus counting holes, transitioning to canvas work should be rather smooth".

She might not have said it in exactly that way, but you get the idea. I hope that if you're on the fence about trying something new that you just jump right in with both of your perfectly pedicured feet and give it a try.

We're off to the weekend! Stewey is looking forward to tending the garden with his Aunt Chrissy. He loves it when she comes over and picks the cucumbers or dead heads the geraniums. I love to look out the window and see her carrying on an entire conversation with him.

Wonder what they talk about?

13 comments:

  1. You know they are talking about you at great length. LOL The piece is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me braver. Now just to choose my first project. I have several charts similar to the Laura J. Perin charts you have chosen in the past. They are lovely. Now to get some canvas and some specialy floss and I am on my way. Who knows where I will end up! Maybe Goldwork is next! LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look Coni, a convert (Denise) YAY! I am always in awe of those that stitch from those incredibly detailed charts.
    I too think that Auntie and Stewey are talking about you; probably comparing notes. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I certainly hope they aren't plotting anything too drastic. And maybe even Aunt Chrissie is trying to convince to not pee on the drapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really looks great Coni! And you are so very right, if you cross stitch, you can read a chart and you can do needlepoint. I always love seeing the pieces that you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Coni! Your smoosh technique looks fab on the flower! Have a wonderful eekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do your ears burn when they're out there???

    The canvas is really coming to life. I love the pretty design and the stitching instructions really make the design POP. And, of course, it would not be possible without the Brave Uber Stitcher in the Happy Chair !!! I'm really impressed with that couching/smooshing thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have jumped off the deep end...I just bought all the stuff to make the Laura J Perin sunflower that is in the new Needlepoint Now magazine. I'm not sure you all won't be seeing my mug on the side of a milk carton as soon as my husband discovers I'm into something new...again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. maybe in his next post, we will be enlightened by the conversation with A.C.

    I am a cross-stitcher by first love, but love to do hardanger and needlepoint. I like the variety of stitches, textures and creativity - which, truth be told, sometimes scares the hell out of me with all that blank space and no pattern, but I agree, if you can read a chart, you can read directions to learning a stitch.. Love the flower progress - this is a cute one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coni, the smooshing looks fabulous! Thought of you this weekend as I was curled up in my own version of the Happy Chair watching Pillars of the Earth. Its right up your alley -- palace intrigue, gratuitous violence and just a hint (so far) of salaciousness! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love-Love-LOVE your happy flower combos! And especially love the way you used that "special" variegated green thread - ahem - quite inspired, I must say.....
    You are one Crazy Daisy Girl, BBFF Coni!!! (Glad to see you're starting on the Daisy Chain piece - I know youre gonna enjoy creating those "happiest of flowers".)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smooshing is a perfect stitching term. I know just what you mean. Squishing is another of my favorites.

    Your project is looking more and more wonderful. You've been so busy on fabulous projects over the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. REally beautiful!! Can't wait to see more...

    ReplyDelete