Jun 5, 2023

IN WHICH THE SPINSTER'S HEAD SPINS ROUND AND ROUND

If you've been reading this here blog for any length of time, you might remember how my head spinning around usually meant that I was deftly re-creating a scene from The Exorcist, even though I was not allowed to watch it but have gathered enough from cocktail party conversation to learn that a head spinning around is usually a bad thing involving demons and projective vomitations.

(And, yes. I am certainly allowed to watch the movie now, but I'll stick with happy sappy love stories or anything involving a spunky heroine who reads books or owns a needlework shop.)

(Thank you and amen.)

My morning started bright and early with real clothings and mascara and lipstick, a quick trip through the Starbucks, and then on to the morning session of my EGA Guild. 

Have I mentioned how excited I get to see my Guild Ladies? I always promise myself that I'm going to behave myself and listen more than I talk and not bounce up and down in my chair like a six year old with ants in her pants, but...nope. I get completely overwhelmed with the joy and fun and inspiration and fellowship and Big Chill Experience of it all that I want to suggest finding a big house where we could all live and stitch together like some kind of middle-aged sorority house with very very good lighting, a two story library overlooking a pond, and a staff of people to brew our damn good and do our laundry.

But I digress.

Here is the state of the Spinster Stitcher Stitchy Union at the moment:

I feel like it took me forever to find it, but on the left is a basket big enough to hold most of my needlepoint projects that have been languishing under the bed since I went on the cross stitch binge. There are several painted canvases that need completing in there, as well as a few that need starting. Now that I have re-joined that guild too (ANG Hoosier Heartland), there just might be a chance that these lovely friends come back out to play!

Rosewood Manor's "Good In Everything" continues along. I was knocked senseless at the guild meeting this morning by Miss Julie's finish of another Rosewood Manor piece called "And A Forest Grew", so it inspired me to come home and pull this out immediately for this afternoon's fun:



I seem to be making pretty quick progress on the Kirk & Bradley canvas. This is a painted canvas that I purchased for an after transplant project, and I originally intended to stitch this one all in tent stitch. After a bit of deliberation, however, I decided to try some different stitches, and I am just tickled pink with the result! I selected each stitch from a few little stitch books that I have here, and feel like I've overcome a little bit of that "painted canvas paralysis" that usually causes me to fall into a big fat puddle of frustration tears when faced with a painted canvas.
My dear friend Lou said he'd like to see this as a beach blanket and asked if I was up for it. 😲 I don't have the heart to tell him that a needlepoint beach blanket stitched with these silk fibers would be a bit spendy, but that it would also take a small team of stitchers and a large team of therapists to see it to conclusion. 😬

And finally, because I just couldn't leave well enough alone, I decided to fish Shepherd's Bush "Come Tarry" out of the Naughty Basket and give her some love this week.

It's not her fault, actually. I'm the bobo that messed up the verse and am now having to do the rest of the sampler with the words all together instead of scattered throughout, but as Annie Hall likes to say...la dee da. La dee da. La dee da.

So now I've got this nice lovely stack of companions to conversate with this week. My next guild meeting will be on Saturday, and that will be the start of a new counted canvas piece, so I will truly have my stitchy bases covered!


I'm off like a herd of turtles, Dearie! It's 6pm and I've not hydrated very well today, so I better get moving!

 

Here's to the week ahead and all of its charms and shenanagins! What's on your to do list? Come tell me all about it!

11 comments:

  1. Coni, you go girl! I think a guild sounds interesting to listen to/see, but I'm a solo stitcher introvert, so love me some flosstubers to keep me company and not feeling like I'm the only stitcher in the world while everybody gives me the side-eye like I'm strange. You have quite the collection ready for the next guild! I am rounding up my projects because my hubby has a work trip and I get to go with him and have many long hours of solo stitching time in the hotel. I'm so excited for a road trip and no home chores! Yay me! I've decided to take 5 projects and we will only be gone for 11-12 days. Somehow feels like an overkill, none of them by themselves could be finished in that time, but still...gotta have options! Thanks for your fun report and I look forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guild this week is on Thursday. This month we are discussing stitch choices. Several weeks ago a different guild went on retreat. Days and days (well, 4) of stitching and good conversation. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coni, I am glad that you have rejoined your guilds. I just love hearing your thoughts and plans with your projects. Hmm, I am having lunch with a friend on Wednesday, going to stitch group on Thursday and having lunch with my HS friend on Saturday. In between, there will be chores and much stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plans all depend on if I have GD (1 yr old) duty or not. When she's here, that's *all* I do, is keep her entertained. If not, I have so many projects (sewing/quilting, needlework, sewing machines, etc) to work on, which I will work on depends on my mood and the weather.

    When I was working, I always thought I'd join needlework and sewing/quilt guilds when I retired. Then the vile contagion hit. Now after so much time home alone, the idea of driving nearly an hour to guild... seems like a lot of work, yet I think I'd be energized by going. Maybe I should make myself join and see how it goes for a year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! At least give it a try!

      Delete
  5. I got the brainiac idea to make my own pattern for punch needle project. I took the pattern and color combo off of a calendar I had. I just loved the colors and had to make something! It's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are, or I think you are, so lucky! I don't know, because although there are a few cross-stitch, quilting and crewel embroidery groups scattered around my country, none of them is anywhere near here and I don't do them thingamabobs anyway. But it does sound like fun, and surely also must keep noses to grindstones in the nicest possible way. My personal nose is in serious need of sharpening: perhaps winter will do it. Or, perhaps, pigs may fly. Have fun, and keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful needlework, Coni! And the guild meetings sound like fun. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my quilt guild and do wish for a local needlework guild. But, as the lady earlier said, I get stitching company from youtube and that's a nice option. This week I am machine quilting on my sewing machine, knitting socks, stitching a sloth and recovering from the C crud. Things could be worse. Always enjoy your posts Coni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are back to your guilds! It’s such a pleasure to be with like minded people ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. A quilt inspired from needlepoint design could be a choice to take to the beach, LOL! happy to hear you are back to the guilds. I haven't been to any of mine since Covid.

    ReplyDelete