Aug 6, 2022

IN WHICH A PROTEIN SHAKE TRIED TO KILL ME


 

So I got the bright idea last week to replace my afternoon cold brew with a protein shake. During my research, I discovered that Premier Protein would be the best choice for me, and lo and behold, they make a flavor called Cafe' Latte.

Perfect!

We needed a few things from the Targets, so I added a four pack of them to the basket, hit the "Deliver Today" button, and within a few hours I was enjoying a nice cold healthy protein shake instead of my delicious, but nutritionally deficient cold brew.

Boy....did I get sick.

I honestly figured it was just a simple case of good old fashioned food poisoning, because I spent a LOT of time examining our bathroom floor tiles, as well as closely inspecting the very good job of disinfecting the cleaning lady is doing on the fixtures in there.

By the grace of God, I forced myself to continually drink lots of water and Vitamin Water and Gatorade, so despite being so ill, I never dehydrated. I still felt awful, and honestly thought it was never going to end, but I knew I was doing everything I could to protect Belly Bean.

(That's my new name for my new kidney, by the way. It came to me when I got an ad for Jelly Belly jelly beans on my iPad thingie. Since my new bean is in the front, I decided to name him Belly Bean...or BB for short.)

(BB was my nickname for my little puppytot nephew, Bosco, too. He gave me so much joy and so many giggles over the years, I figured the homage' was perfect.)

I started to feel better by Wednesday afternoon, but I was never able to figure out what the culprit was. Then, out of nowhere, I got an email telling me that they were letting me know that an item I had purchased recently had been recalled due to bacterial contamination, and that I should throw it away immediately and come in for a refund.

Guess what it was?

As I investigated further, the company that makes the shakes, as well as their supplier, and even the FDA issued statements saying they caught it early and nobody had gotten sick.

Um...nope.

I started researching the actual bacteria (cronobacter sakazakii) and that scared the bejeebers outta' me, so I put the iPad down, took a breath, scribbled a few notes, and spent yesterday on the phone with everybody so that they could verify lot numbers, etc and apologize profusely and send me a refund.

On Monday, I'll confirm that no further treatment is needed by my Bean Team, and then I'll probably just put the idea if protein shakes on the shelf for a minute. I am just so grateful that it wasn't worse, and I hope nobody else had to go through that.

See what happens when I try to get healthy, Dearies? The universe smites me on the nose and scares me back into being a portly, cold brew swigging, sun worshipping schlumpadink. You try this whole good clean living thing and it doesn't end well.

DietCokes, Virginia Slims, and cupcakes for everybody...on me!

17 comments:

  1. Coni, I am drinking protein shakes as well. The brand I found that I like is Core. There are several flavors but the vanilla and strawberry are my favorites. Glad you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not imagine just how scared you were! Thank goodness it was over fairly quickly. Can you drink a protein shake of a different brand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! My husband had 2 shakes left in a package he bought recently. We checked and his are okay. The recall is in Canada as well as the US.

    While I was in the hospital, the dietitian wanted me to get extra protein, so brought me one of the Boost juice-type drinks. I sipped it over a couple of hours between breakfast and lunch. When they checked my glucose level it was 13, when it had been regularly between 6 and 7. So I said no thanks to any more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been drinking Premier dark chocolate for years....many thanks
    for the heads up... one never knows do one? So sorry that in trying to do the right thing you suffered...no good deed goes unpunished...
    Hope you find a tasty and effective substitute that is kind to Belly Bean......

    ReplyDelete
  5. God wants you to have coldbrewπŸ‘...glad you are on the mend. Hugging the commode is a horrible way to spend the day...Thumbs up to hydration, teehee and stitching!πŸ’“πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸ₯€⚘πŸŒ·πŸ’

    ReplyDelete
  6. s/b teevee...NOT teehee πŸ™ƒ auck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another tale...I got sick two weeks ago...ohh my...so very sick. Couldn't figure out how that could happen as I am not exposed to any people. I've become a COVID hermit. lol I just kept getting sicker it felt like. OMG...I figured if I wasn't better after the 4th day, I was breaking down and calling the doc. Well...I got better. It was a mystery to me how I got sick. And then I found out: I had purchased 2 cases of Premier Protein from Costco. Had 4 of those tainted things. Guess I now know how I got sick. Both cases ($66) were bad. sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Coni, sorry you got sick from a tainted protein drink. Glad you are feeling better. I wonder if you could create your own smoothie like protein drink with cold brew and protein powder. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you went through this. One doesn't expect a major brand to fail like that. I've been making my own smoothies for a couple years to boost my protein and healthy fruit intake. Granddaughter loves them too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I won't use Premier anything. They all made me so sick, just like you. And, they taste like the bottom of a wastebasket. I'm sorry you had such a bad time, but again, the brand sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you went through that! How awful! Thank heavens you were home in your own clean surroundings! Have you considered adding skim milk to your cold brew? For several years I drank what was essentially coffee flavored milk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a someone I follow on Instagram and she has Crohns extremely bad. She became ill a few ago and went to the hospital thinking she was having a bad flare. Come to find out it was the Premier drinks that had made her sick. I drink the Ensure Protein Max and they are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The minute I saw that shake I thought oh no she has the bad ones! I saw the news about it on TV. Sorry you had to go through that. I use the Wal Mart caramel ones to drink and use in my coffee. Glad to hear you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry that happened to you and that you're OK now. My husband gets those at Costco and drinks them frequently. I will have to warn him!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate this happened to you and hope no damage was done. I drink the vanilla flavor Equate protein shakes and add a stick of instant coffee then pour over ice. Has been my go to breakfast for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m so sorry this happened to you Coni! It sounds just awful. Glad you handled it so well (after the bathroom!)

    ReplyDelete