May 25, 2022

WELL...THAT WAS QUITE AN ADVENTURE!

Rich left for New Jersey to visit his mom on Wednesday of last week. Instead of my usual Spinstercation of sleeping, organizing, watching TeeVee and generally putzing, I decided to get OUT and about and see if I could function as an independent grown adult Spinster person without supervision.

First I got the car all spiffed up:


Then I had a nice long stitchy session at my Starbucks:


Then I did my nails:


Then it was back to Downton:

A drive to Indy, armed with lots of damn good and Classic Rock:


A nice long shop and stock-up at the bookstore:


Breakfast in bed at the hotel (my very favorite thing in the whole wide world):


And a visit to Newfields and The Lume to see the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit:

Now I'm home and ready for a nap! 

My little experiment worked. By unplugging from the world for a few days, I was able to be quiet and look at, read, eat, and dream happy things that rested and refreshed my tiny little brain. I learned that I can do it all, but not all at once, and that if you ask, plenty of help is there to be found.

 (For example, did you know that some museums have scooters for use? I was able to walk myself slowly to the gallery for the exhibit and then plop myself onto the little seat and enjoy the day without having to walk or stand for long periods. When I got tired or shaky (which I do) I was able to just sit and breathe for a bit before heading to the next lovely thing to see).

I'm coming up on eight months post Beanie, and I have finally accepted that I'm where I should be. Not quite running marathons yet, but with adaptation, frequent rests, and a LOT of water...I'm getting a tiny bit better each and every day.

With all that's going on in this world of ours at the moment, unplugging for a minute and shifting my focus saved me. I grieve for so much of the heartache, I pray for smart and brave people to figure things out, and I hope that my family (looking at you, Dearies) are safe and well and feeling peace.

Back to Bosch and the Redbird Sampler! I am so very close to finishing both! Maybe with a little attention this evening, we'll have some happy dancing to look forward to!

Happy Futzingday! What have you been up to? Come tell me all about it!

22 comments:

  1. Your adventure sounds just wonderful! I wasn't aware that museums sometimes have scooters. Not able to walk much, I'll check into that. I'd love to be able to go to museums again! Thank you for telling us! Enjoy your stitching and your beautiful nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration in so many ways, Coni. Thank you for sharing; it makes the rest of us better able to follow your example. Looking forward to meeting a whole Redbird very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unplug is exactly what you needed. The Van Gogh exhibit is headed my way soon, I would love to check it out. Will have to make myself a reminder on my phone. Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coni, you had a most wonderful adventure! I am so glad you came back to tell us all about it! I have started futzing for an hour each day. It amazes me how much I can accomplish with short periods daily. Of course, every evening I try spend some time with a threaded needle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a wonderful break!! I saw the Van Gogh exhibit and thoroughly enjoyed it. So glad that you are figuring things out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really was a wonderful adventure, Coni.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous you got to see the Vincent exhibit! Everything I've heard about it sounds wonderful! I've been using a Rollator when I have to go a distance. Much as it makes me feel like an old lady, it is nice to be able to sit down and take a breather when I get tired and breathy. Hard to admit limits, but necessary. Such a splendid over-nighter - and nothing medical involved. What a concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother is in the early stages of renal failure & the doctor is urging her to get a fistula implanted NOW so that dialysis will be slightly easier when she has to start. I've suggested she start reading your kidney journey blog posts for tips on how to cope. In the meantime, I will keep reading because you always make me laugh/smile/think!

    Also, going unplugged is a terrific idea! I may try it myself next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell you mom that getting the fistula early was really helpful for me. I had Buzzy installed a full year...almost two before I needed him, which meant he was wonderfully healed by the time I started dialysis.

      Also...please tell your mom to keep her chin up and to email me any time if she needs anything!

      Delete
  9. I guess I've been living under a rock! Had not heard of the Van Gogh exhibit until reading your post. Go figure, it's going to be only 45 mi utes away from me. Got to check it out! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the fun post I bet the Van Gogh exhibit was great : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great adventure Coni! I'm so glad you had such a good time, you deserve it! Sounds like unplugging should be a regular thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unplugging is so good for the soul. Glad you had a fabulous time away from it all. Almost 8 months already! It has just flown by.
    Here we are expecting the splatter of little webbed feet. We have Kindergarten duck pens already waiting for them.

    Enjoy your stitching sessions.
    Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coni, it sounds like unplugging was definitely good for you and the soul. What a wonderful outing and adventures you had while being unplugged. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you anywhere near Dayton, Ohio? If you are, a field trip worth taking would be to visit the Marian Library at University of Dayton while the LitanyLoreto Embroideries are still there. They will be there through August 26th. I wish I could go in person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Immersive Van Gogh exhibit will be here in December. Do you feel it was worth the price? Was it hard to walk around if you are not steady on your feet? Thanks to pneumonia and Covid I am on oxygen and my balance is not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, check with the venue and ask if they have wheelchairs or rollators you can borrow. I used a rollator for balance and was then able to sit in the gallery for the entire length of the exhibit...about an hour. Yes, I felt that it was definitely worth the ticket price.

      Delete
  16. You have the right idea in how to care for yourself. I'm so happy for you to go out on your own. No one can do that for you. We all need unplugging, well at least I do too, Enjoy the day and keep getting healthier. Day by day or inch by inch! I sew enjoy your cross-stitching. Arthiritis stops me from hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder what Google has changed this week. I used to have no problem commenting with my google account, but suddenly it has become stubborn. I'll investigate further later. On to the actual comment: You really did a LOT on your internets break! I'm exhausted just reading about it all- except for breakfast in bed, which sounds lovely- and glad you were able to enjoy it all.
    -Kathy P in Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you're doing well and on track with Beanie. Your adventure sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Going to see the Immersive Van Gogh in Louisville July 13th... Quite excited! Thank you for mentioning it 🙂

    ReplyDelete