Dec 15, 2021

WELL, APPARENTLY, I'M BEHAVING MYSELF

My checkup was good, despite me feeling like I've been quite lax in living my best new life. My creatinine level was 1.3, which is slightly lower than last time (we want that number to be as low low low as possible), my weight was exactly the same (dang it), my blood pressure perfect, and everything else exactly within range of being "normal".

I am actually thrilled with a good report, and trying not to be too hard on myself about the weight just yet. My doc reminded me that I am less than three months post transplant, and usually it takes a full six months to get back to feeling 100%.

(Ahhhhh, there's that patience thing again.)

An issue that does have me concerned, however, is the fact that I have lost so much hair. I used to have very full, very thick hair, but the new meds have reduced it by half and it is now super fine and very very thin. According to the pharmacist, this is indeed a real side effect of one of the immunosuppressants, but usually resolves itself after a year or so. She did tell me to expect some baldness, but that a good biotin shampoo might help.

(Yikes!)

So I am now searching the interwebs for such a shampoo, and wondering if I might be better off getting a pretty severe haircut with short short layers?

(Either way...a very small issue in exchange for a new kidney/new life!)

Today is paperwork day and laundry sploshing day, I think. It is cold and quite gloomy, so there will definitely be some stitchy time by the tree! I really do love how wonderful lights on a tree make me feel this time of year! 

Happy Futzingday, Dearies! I hope your day is filled with fun and frolic!

17 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're progressing well. I lost 1/3 of my fine hair some years ago and it was very discouraging. Biotin shampoo did help slightly, and also some light mousse that I could use to force a little body into it. Happily, it came back, much lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All in all, a very good report! I'm sorry about the hair, but you have a good attitude about changing the cut. As short-haired person for the past 40 years, I can attest to the ease it means in the care department. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know several people who lost all of their hair due to chemo. Nobody cares! As long as you are getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used biotin shampoo and biotin chewies (of course check with your doctor) since I lost my hair to chemo in 2018. It has grown back, but is not the thick mane I was used to. Oh well, I'll soon be 66 and it that is my biggest worry, then I guess I'm blessed. Your hair is not the definition of you. All that you do and the people around you is the definition of you. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biotin chewiness really do work. Took them for six months after my bout with Covid since my one and only, thank goodness, side affect was hair loss. At the sixth month mark, hair loss leveled off, not as thick as before but certainly not a big price to pay for having survived Covid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pajienze...ask JB for translation. It will all resolve itself
    if you follow the course as well as you have. If you are allowed Biotin capsules, they will ameliorate some of the loss. Give it all the time needed to gain the advances suggested by your medical team. Keep walking in the direction
    of your dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost hair after an illness. Patchy and very thin. I went to a hairdresser who was trained to work with post-chemo patients (although that was not my issue). She performed a magic cut that made me feel great about my hair! Slowly my hair grew back - never as thick - and I went to her for about a year. Then back to my original hairdresser. And the good news is, now you can wear hats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can wear hats - love that, Ellen 😎

      Delete
  8. That's great news on the lab numbers, while *you* might be disappointed that your weight isn't the same, your body is still healing and getting used to the new medications. Bummer on the hair, I have no advice on trying to reverse the thinning. I'd probably go short though, as that would cut way down on the tugging and pulling on it trying to keep it combed. I had no idea there were hairdressers with special training for chemo patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have programs for us usually called Look Better Feel Better that we can take part in. The American Cancer program sponsors them in my area.

      Delete
  9. Just had a thought - I know silk satin pillowcases are recommended to help combat dry hair. Be careful if you try them - so many are misleading labels and are rayon or polyester satin, not silk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coni, that is good news on the doctor front that your numbers are looking good. Give yourself time as your body continues to mend and heal before climbing on the weight loss wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you with your good report. You doin' good! The hair problem will resolve one way or another, and you have a healthy attitude about your picture as as whole. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a good checkup! My hair is naturally fine and thin. Maybe I should look for a biotin shampoo too. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are doing well !! Have been waiting to hear good news. About your hair I had surgery and just the top my head thinned. I got a bottle of moose ,any kind will do. Also got a spray bottle of Gray Away (color of your choice) and used that so my scalpdid not sine through. Nothing your MD has to approve. Does not rub off on pillow cases or anything else. I was in love. Did not cut my hair which rather long . Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so good to hear the report from your doctors, Coni. They must be really pleased with your progress. Have a wonderful Christmas with JB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is overall very good news. Hair will grow back I'm sure. But well done for being so healthy!

    ReplyDelete