Nov 13, 2021

SOME PONDERINGS ON A DREARY SATURDAY MORNING

Good morning, Dearies.

I've been thinking a lot about my postings these last few weeks, and for some reason feel compelled to clarify some things and apologize to all of my fellow kidney transplant warriors out there.

You all know me, so you know that I have a pair of rosy colored glasses stapled to my face. I try as hard as I possibly can to be upbeat, positive, and put a Mary Poppins happy spin on everything and view the world from the top of a glitter-covered rainbow.

(At least that's how it goes in my head, anyway.)

But being a kidney patient on dialysis and then a kidney transplant patient is hard.

Excrutiatingly, mind-numbingly, awfully, terribly, ridiculously hard.

If you've read this here blog since 9.30.21 I would imagine that it might have looked like my time here has been one big Indianapolis vacation. I've been super blessed in every way with a fabulous team at IU, my beloved caregivers watching my every move, financial resources (thanks to all of you) that have allowed me to stay here rather than drive back and forth, lots of flitting about and excursions to nail salons, Targets, bookstores, restaurants, etc, and what would appear to be lots of fun.

I've tried to keep this light. And as humorous as one can, given the serious circumstances. (A naked homeless man trying to break into the hotel room window two feet away from me seems funny now, but I can honestly tell you that I have never felt fear like that before in my life).

The pictures of my abdomen cut open are on my phone and in my medical chart and if I happen to catch sight of the early ones, I just about pass out from the horror of them, and the bumps, bruises, and scars I'm sporting from central lines and an inert Buzzy are daily reminders that...yes...something significant really did take place here.

This was not an easy experience in any way. Physically, the pain and discomfort and weakness and general feeling of ugh from all of these new meds knocked me completely out, and I am still fighting brain fog and the feeling that I've been dropped from a semi-tall building. 

Mentally, my tiny little brain seems to have shut itself down, since concentrating on anything harder than opening a bag of pretzels is completely beyond me. I've had entire conversations with Rich or Denise or Cheryl or my sister that I can't remember for the life of me, and the other day it took me a half hour to try to remember why I had walked into the little kitchenette.

I won't even try to explain the emotional toll this has taken, but I promise you that you don't know a sleepless night until you've been presented with the fact that another human person died and you got to live because of that. Or how you replay a nasty conversation you had in which crap comes spewing out of your mouth uncontrollably, while all you can do is sit there and watch it all take place....completely horrified that you have the capacity to be so utterly...mean.

At the moment, the financial impact of this transplant is well over two million dollars. My share of that is significant and I will be paying these bills off for a very long time. The wound vac is approximately $100 per day out of pocket (my portion of insurance), meds are going to be $400 per month for the rest of my life, and the deductibles and out of pocket maximums will be significant. Yes, my kidney fund enabled me to live here in Indy while recovering, but it also covered things like parking at the hospital and gas for caregivers, and meals and groceries, and stupid incidentals like the iron tablets that are a prescription but not covered because they come over the counter, etc. My peace of mind that there was money there to use is a gift that I will be forever grateful for, but this is going to have quite an impact for quite some time.

I'm saying all of this because I realized that it has read like one big crazy adventure that I've stumbled my way through with grit and good humor,  but the truth of the matter is that I honestly don't know how I survived this. Don't misunderstand me, please. I will NEVER be able to find enough humility and gratitude to adequately express in the face of being given a new life, but this is...by far...the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

On my first clinic visit I met a guy that had seemingly sailed through his transplant, and he was driving and walking and working and living life as though nothing had happened, and I was thoroughly depressed that I was a hot mess of pain and confusion and neediness and couldn't get out of a wheelchair.

I expressed this to one of my nurses...that I felt like a total failure because I was still so incapacitated...and she got about an inch from my face and said "You just had a kidney transplant. We cut you practically in half, tore through muscle and tissue, pulled stuff out of the way, and sewed a new organ into you that your body wants to kill. We are pumping you full of medications that would strip paint off of a semi-truck, are demanding that you drink your body weight in fluid, and are pulling and poking and prodding you to move and come here to this hospital and sit in waiting rooms and doctor's offices when you can barely stand to sit upright. If you don't think this is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life, you have 't been paying attention. Don't you dare compare yourself to another patient. This is your journey and yours alone. Honor it by be honest enough to admit how damn hard it is".

So I guess that's what I want to say. This is a very big, very hard, very scary thing, and like our friend told me when I made light of dialysis....I am a jackass for making light of it. I can be grateful and I can tell you funny stories from my day, or I can do little happy dances over milestones that I'm achieving, but I also need to acknowledge what a huge freaking deal this has been.

I owe that to the doctors and nurses.

I owe that to Rich, Denise, Cheryl, and my sister.

I owe that to every person who has expressed support and love and encouragement.

I owe that to all of you

I owe it to every patient who has survived and fought through recovery from illness and surgery and treatment of any kind.

And, most importantly, I owe it to myself.

Thanks for indulging me, Dearies. I'm going to head down for a little breakfast and het on with my day. It's cold and dreary here in Hoosierville, so methinks it might be a bed coffee and Netflix kind of day. Stay tuned to see what kind of trouble I can get into!


34 comments:

  1. I have a similar personality. I use humor to cope. It gets me thru. However in private it is often accompanied by ranting and raving. We are all so uniquely made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie you owe us nothing, everybody copes the best way they can and if you take a light hearted view of it that’s your way. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE. How you deal with it when you are alone I’ll bet is something else altogether. Stay strong get well and kick some butt when you’re better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You owe it to yourself and others to be honest about your journey. Maybe the guy who Supposedly sailed through his surgery was putting on a good face and brought you down!
    And as you said, everyone is different and reacts differently cor many deasons. Just take care of yourself and don't worry about cheering us up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coni, the only person you owe is yourself. Those of us who have been here a long while know that you deal with the frustration, the scary times, the hard times, etc. by taking a light hearted and funny view to things. But you are also honest and direct like in this post. Hope you have a relaxing Saturday. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness no! You have shared the highs and lows of this since day one. Yes you do try to be rosy for the most part but I think we can see what a battle this is.
    It has been a learning experience for me Coni and I was a nurse. I believe all the medical dramas on TV do us a dis-service and have us forgetting the physical and emotional work that goes in to healing. It's hard enough without set backs or complications.
    Sorry Coni, you do not have your cheerleaders fooled. We can see through your bravery🥰 .....I admire you for it but I know this is a huge challenge.
    Thank you for sharing this roller coaster ri=de with us. It has been a huge learniin experience for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless that nurse!
    Coni- you are the best “you” God ever created.
    By being honest, and doing the best you can, and documenting it along the way, you are helping not only yourself, but many people in the future. Because I guarantee you, a scared soul who is facing a kidney transplant is going to do a google search, find your blog, and know they are not alone, that they are not the first to fight the unknown, and be comforted.
    By your posts, you are healing yourself and others.
    What a gift you are to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew as I started reading this post that someone told you they think you are not doing things "right", by that I mean their way. In the 6-7(?) years I've been reading your blog, when you go all introspective and apologetic like this post, it's usually because someone has expressed their disapproval of you. Your friend is a jackass for telling you are a jackass for using humor to deal with the whole years-long dialysis/transplant stuff. Like the nurse said - this is your experience, and everyone handles it differently.

    Here's a bright spot dark humor thought for you - at least you aren't trying to deal with getting everything together for income tax time right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coni, we know you will be thinking of the family that donated your new kidney every day, and be grateful. That is who you are. We are not fooled. You are loved for the good, honest, caring person you are, and are so looking forward to the day you are going home. We all do what we need to do to cope and get through. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen, Coni, and I love that nurse. Angels in disguise.

    Now, go get your coffee and rest. -p.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bed, coffee, and Netflix sounds perfect for today. Any surgery can be a physical and emotional trauma, and a transplant even more so. Your body and emotions need time to heal. I've had general anesthesia twice, and both times I did not sleep or remember or think like myself for months afterwards. You are a warrior. I am so proud of how you such it up and do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How long after his transplant did that fellow return to what you thought was his normal lifestyle? And what are the differences between you and he? Please don't allow such "comparisons"..how long have you been doing THAT ???? You are our precious Coni who has been through a ringer, survived and
    are carrying on...not an easy feat...a very small percentage of souls could match that... let alone with a capacity for humor. On top of it, you have shared this experience openly, graciously and made us aware of how that ordeal impacts one's
    life, making us a bit wiser about this journey called living.
    Enuff....Settle in to your bed, coffee and Netflix and know that we are here praying you through and ready to ease however we are able. A big Saturday hug to you, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're here for you dear brave Spinster....luv always,

    MaryO

    ReplyDelete
  13. That you have been out and about since your transplant has astounded me. If it were me, I would be laying in bed all day! I had an appendectomy in 2/2020 and it took me a full 6 weeks to be able to move without pain...a lousy appendectomy!!! How you are going out and about so soon after a MAJOR surgery... You are a rock star and you should own it!!! And just listen to your body! Luv ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs Coni. Just because you have chosen to share the better parts of what you have been going through doesn't mean we don't appreciate that this has been a difficult journey. The important thing is that you deal with it in whatever way makes it easiest for you to get through each day. No question that the doctors and nurses are angels, and it sounds like your caretakers are too. I, for one, have been very glad to be a small part of helping you through this! And while this has been a very difficult time for the family of your donor, I'm sure they are happy that a part of that person lives on. Take care of yourself and keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coni, I think you are very brave, and thank you for sharing all you have been through. Most people (including me) have no idea of what major surgery entails, or the emotional impact it has on one. My Mom was on dialysis for several years before she died of polycystic kidney disease in her 80's -- so I know how hard being on dialysis was for you. Keep your chin up and I know you will come out from this with flying colors. And God bless you and all your caregivers and doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't forget that we do know you, dear Coni, and we have learned to respect as well as love your cheerful determination and courage, and your wish to make your journey seem as light-hearted as you can, to encurage us and also to persuade yourself that it really isn't so bad after all. And this is a very kind and generous thing to do, and we understand and appreciate it. So, please don't worry - especially not because of us. Unseen and unheard, we are cheering you on from all over the world - South Africa in my case. And will continue doing just that. Thank you for finding the time for us, and don't worry if you miss a day now and then. Just take it one day at a time, and you'll get to where you need to be: we're sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a gorgeously eloquent rant on the HUGENESS of what you've gone through, what all transplant patients go through. It has given me a greater appreciation for the strength required to endure such an experience and the incredible talent our medical professionals bring to saving lives. Thank you for sharing all sides of the experience with us, Coni! We love your positive spirit and determination and it's good for us to know there are many, many moments of pain, existential angst, unbearable fatigue, and great pain of all varieties just to survive. Thank you for being real all around. May your healing continue with all speed and may the unfolding years allow your to blossom again and again. You are a beautiful gift to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What she said LOL!! Coni, I admire you for even having spare energy for your blog. You have done marvellously throughout dialysis and now transplant. You are a very strong person, strong enough to talk about the bad as well as the good times. All my love and support, Gail from UK.

      Delete
  18. Coni, thanks for giving us a view of what this experience is really like for you. The nurse who described what you've been through really brought it home. Thanks for such honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coni, I started reading just this summer. You are awesome! Stay rested. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You have been braver than most. Hang in there and know you have brought much happiness and laughter to us out here in bloggerville. I love how you refer to the target, “the” martens, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I appreciate your ability to go through this experience with a cheerful attitude. We all understand the enormity of what you have gone through...and continue to go through. Continued prayers and so much love coming your way. - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Coni, continue to be you. You don’t need to put on a show or pretend you are someone you’re not. Until someone walks a mile in your shoes they can’t truly understand what you’ve been through (although they can empathize.)

    Is there a way to get donate to your kidney fund?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hugs! I can only imagine how difficult this journey has been for you. But please don't be too hard on yourself. We all know the wonderful person you are and know you are not taking anything for granted. Just focus on recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coni, your friends have said it all and eloquently. I just want to add that having (& using) a sense of humor makes the difference between thriving and wallowing in self-pity. I'd much rather hear (and share) the bits of irony & humor that make difficult times more palatable. The other Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coni, in the words of a song, "I think you're amazing, just the way you are". Your friends don't expect you to be bright and breezy all the time. You are (a super) human and to feel all that you feel is completely normal. What you have coped with, and are coping with, is ginormous. Remember, we are with you and love you (albeit from the other side of a screen).
    Enjoy your coffee, bed and Netflix day xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Coni, I have been following you from the UK for a couple of years, greatly admiring your humour as you deal with a health situation most of us will luckily never have to go through. This post certainly has make me count my blessings that here in the UK we have the NHS - far from perfect, underfunded and over worked as it is funded through our tax system but which provides care including transplants and aftercare for free. I will never take that for granted again.
    As for the complexity of your feelings about the donor that is totally understandable. A colleague of mine lost her 18 year old son and was able to donate his organs - that gave her and her family tremendous comfort and she has since met some of the recipients which has helped her deal with the loss and and enabled her to reassure those who benefit from the donation to live their lives to the full, free from any guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hear you about how hard it's been to get a new kidney. However, I can only imagine. The only major surgical experience I've had was a knee replacement, and that was very challenging indeed, not only physically but emotionally. I hope you'll think of your donor kidney as a kind of redemption. Your donor's death wasn't an unmitigated tragedy--you got new life. Bless you. I continue to pray for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love you sense of humor and the positivity you have shown us. Love that you are free to be honest and open about how hard this has been. I cannot imagine. But you are facing it and getting through it however you can, and isn't that all any of us could do. Prayers for your recovery and stamina, and not trying to kill your new kidny. Thank you for sharing and never apologize for being honest. Love your blog, and all your sharing. Thanks again. Stay safe and carry on. Sounds like one big job you have right now. But this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Coni, You are simply an incredible person. I admire that you use your wit and humor to get through life. I cannot even imagine how difficult your journey has been but I will continue sending all my love and prayers for your ongoing recovery and gift of life. I am so thankful for your blog and for you sharing your journey/yourself with us. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Coni, you are my hero. For the past few years you have been going through an ordeal that most of us cannot begin to imagine. And you made it! Then you top it off with an organ transplant that even fewer of us have to endure. And you've made it! Your journey has taken you over mountains and through gullies that are unimaginable. And, you've made it! I'm recovering from a shoulder replacement at the moment, and as difficult as this is, it is NOTHING like an organ transplant. And you've made it!! All of your Hail Mary's, Our Fathers, Novena's, and other prayers have been heard, and you are conquering this very difficult journey. I pray that God will continue to watch over you and Rich. You are an inspiration to many, and I look forward to reading your blog for many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Please tell me who made you feel that you needed to apologize for trying to be happy!!! It's all good and it's all bad. Go enjoy your day wherever it may take you.

    ReplyDelete