Jul 6, 2021

MAY SHE REST IN PEACE, AND MAY HER MEMORY BE A BLESSING

Dearies, our family is smaller by one today, and although very sad to hear the news, I am so very thankful to have enjoyed such beautiful creations from such a beautiful woman. Dear Miss Barb, one of the designers behind Blackbird Designs, passed away over the weekend. 

I shamelessly copy the following from her friend and partner, Miss Alma:


 From Alma Allen of Blackbird Designs:

My dear friend, Barb Adams passed away on the morning of July 4th. It’s so hard to imagine what life will be like without her. I will miss our daily talks, extensive travels and the excitement we felt as we developed new ideas for projects. Barb always said she didn’t want to quit working and leave so many unfinished ideas on the table. She called me two weeks ago and asked me if I could come back to Kansas City and go to the doctor with her. I will be forever grateful she called me. She gave me the gift of her presence these final two weeks.

Barb was always kind and compassionate. Her sense of humor was quick and came at unexpected times. The surprise of it could bring uncontrolled laughter and tears to my eyes. Her sense of personal style was classy! Some of my favorite times with Barb were spent in the shoe department of Nordstrom’s. As we both wore size 11s, we could both try on shoes the other had chosen. With all of the booths we set up at wholesale markets and all the heavy boxes of books we had to haul, we said we had to have Excedrine to spend time together. I told her all of my worst times were spent with her. But really just being with her made those times better. She never ceased to amaze me with her mastery of color combinations and design ideas. Many of her quilts and cross stitch projects were based on patriotic themes. As the fireworks light up the sky on the 4th of July every year it will always have a special meaning for me. Leave it to Barb to make sure she exited with fireworks! Blackbird Designs will never be the same without her.



10 comments:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful tribute to Barb. She will definitely be missed. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute. Thank you so much for passing this along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you for posting this. It's a beautiful tribute. I've made many Blackbird quilts and a couple cross stitches. Love their designs. I remember when Cheri Saffyote Payne passed. Since then, there hasn't been a designer like her. I know Barb Adams was one of a kind too. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sad! Thanks for passing it along, I’ll be thinking about her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad. I have many of their lovely patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad, indeed. Thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't this the most dreadful news, I just read it on Cathy's blog too. My next start (tomorrow all being well) is going to be a BBD in her honour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely message from Alma to relive some of the fun times they had. May she rest in peace in stitching heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should see the letter written by her niece!! It incorporates all of the Beatles songs in her life story. Needless to say she was a BIG fan of the Beatles and loved Paul the mostest!! She was such a sweetheart and will be deeply missed.

    ReplyDelete