Feb 10, 2021

WEDNESDAY


Bitter cold here in Hoosierville today, Dearies, but I am now in the d-chair and warm and safe and dry, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Buzzy made a new friend today. Her name is Miss Audrey, and she's filling in from another clinic because ours is so short staffed. The stick was remarkably pain-free today, things are flowing smoothly, and I am completely relieved and happy. I ramped up pretty good this morning anticipating that pain, especially since my Monday treatment left me in a bit of agony....but it was all for naught (as almost all anxiety sessions are).

I did a few minutes of stitching on Winter Quakers but put it away and picked up the snowflake instead. 


I was fretting over my lack of interest in Winter Quakers, but realized that stitching one particular project over another in not a mandatory proposition for pity's sakes. I stitch for therapy and enjoyment...why complicate it by shoulding all over myself?

My JB's chair still has not arrived, but it looks like it's getting closer. There were several erroneous reports that it would be here Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday before the tracking system finally fessed up and said "We really have no clue as to when it will be there" and I decided to just exercise some patience.

I did get my chore done yesterday, which was to clear off the dining room table once and for all. I corralled and purged and organized our snacks into a cart and promised that not one bag or box of  anything would be purchased until we make a dent in this mess:


In my defense....I show love through food (obviously), so unless there are enough things to stock a small convenience store, I feel stingy.

(Well...that and the fact that I discovered Costco and have no restraint whatsoever and am completely hypnotized by the sheer size of everything.)

(Oh...and I also have this weird propensity for maintaining an inventory by buying two of something to replace anything that is less than half full.)

(You should see my deodorant shelf.) 

As God is my witness, I come by this honestly, since Mom stocked the house up every Fall in preparation for winter. A side of beef went into the downstairs freezer, and canned goods and dry goods were lined up in the pantry ready for Armageddon. There was also a plethora of things from Uncle Connie's garden that had been canned, because we apparently lived in an era when fresh vegetables were not to be had for months at a time. I'm sure I'm exaggerating, but didn't it seem like we didn't get fresh summer vegetables in the winter?

(Tomatoes, in particular, come to mind).

Wow. I am a Big Babble today! Some days I don't grunt a word, and others I'm writing novels. True to form for me, I guess. Absolutely NOTHING in moderation!

Happy Futzingday to one and all! I hope wherever you are is exactly where you want to be! Come tell me all about it!

11 comments:

  1. I feel you on the stocking up. My Mom grew up on a farm during the depression and we also had the side of beef in the freezer. I feel anxious when there are less than 4 rolls of TP in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share so many traits in common. I seem to have an unexplained fear of running out of food. The pandemic threw it into high gear. All that aside, why did I feel the need for 6 or more bottles of steak sauce? We rarely eat steak at home. Or away for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan from Canada

    Totally with you on the stocking up. I have jars of salad dressings that will expire before we get to them, dish washing detergent because I opened my last bottle so need to be sure to have one on hand because I will need it a month from now, laundry detergent by the gallon - see dish detergent - but have no fear of running out of toilet paper so I have no back-up stock! I do, however, have enough cross stitch charts and quilting kits to last me the rest of my life; I am almost 65 so I don't actually need to make any more purchases - but Keepsake Quilting and 123 Stitch keep sending me wonderful emails, and I keep watching flosstube!! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowflake is coming along great! I love that dark blue thread. And your snack cart is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m not a stitcher but a quilter and knitter. (I know we can’t all be perfect.) I don’t remember how I found your blog but I love you and your blog. I have gone back to the beginning of the blog to read about your adventures. I feel a kinship with you (hopefully not a creepy one) because I am a native of southern Hoosierville, my college roommate was from Osceola, and my brother graduated from Notre Dame. When you blog about your Hoosierville area it brings back good memories. Keep up the good work.
    PS. I really like your needlework.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for the chores. I think we are like your Uncle Connie! Summer veg and fruit is stored and so is meat from our new friends farms!
    Buzzy is trying to impress Miss Audrey!
    I thought it was Friday today - oh dear. Keep warm and safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I inherited my mom’s idea of food ‘hoarding’, as did my sister. I laugh that no mater what happens, we won’t go hungry. Also have a nice supply of tp, laundry soap, health and beauty aids, etc. My sewing room is well insulated with stashes of fabric and yarn too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear Buzzy behaved himself with Miss Audrey! Coni, I think that it is the era that we grew up in with stocking up pantry and freezer along with the lack of supplies during the first months of COVID in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh what a treat! I love a visit like this one with you.Wouldn’t it be fun if we could sit with you while you dialize and have a good ol gab session?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think when our parents were young, food wasn't shipped in from around the globe. Veggies in the grocery store in the winter had been in cold storage since summer. When out of season food was shipped in, it was expensive. Our parents canned and froze produce out of necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we all must be blood relatives with the shared DNA for food hoarding! Perhaps children of Depression era grandparents? I also take stock of the UFO's and WiP and realize I have long been an ADHD stitcher. Be it quilting or needlework. I used to have guilt and shame, but forgave myself. In truth a get a lot more done when I don't have to concentrate on any one project for TOO long... because its not always about the end result, but the process. The process of creating is what is satisfying!!

    ReplyDelete