Feb 17, 2021

BACK IN BLACK


It wasn't strictly intentional, but today I find myself returned to my working girl roots...dressed in black from head to toe. I honestly just pulled things from the top of the stacks in the closet, but the nice comment I received about looking thinner from my tech has me better appreciating my portly nun on the run getup.

We had a weird frozen fog this morning that left the trees dressed in a gorgeous coating of sparkle again:



I never tire of looking at them like this, but wish it didn't come with such misery and destruction across the country! I worry so about you Dearies in the path and midst of it all, and pray that you are warm and safe and dry and coping as best as you can with something comforting.

No stitching to report, but I am going to try to remedy that today by starting a new Mill Hill:


I did a nice clean up of the cube room studio and finally got all of my WiPs sorted.  The next step will be to journal them into a stitchy notebook and come up with some kind of plan for getting them done, but for now I'm happy to fly by the seat of my big britches with these seasonal baskets.

One thing I do know, though, is that I am going to try to be a lot better about keeping the cube room in good order. This will involve a lot more work, especially in the thread keeping area, but not having or being able to find that DMC floss that I needed woke me up. It might take me a while, but I am going to acquire, assemble, and maintain a full set of DMC.

(Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could purchase that already done?)

(Pricey, I'm sure, but well worth it to have it done with the push of a button.)

Tomorrow I take JB Magoo for his covid vaccine, and I am hoping that I can luck into getting one for myself. For the life of me...I don't understand why dialysis patients weren't a bit higher on the list. I'm particularly disappointed that the staff here that should be handling things like this (like the doctor, charge nurse, and social worker) just shrug their shoulders when pressed and tell me to figure it out on my own.

Phooey.

Poor Magoo is a mess over the thought of the needle. He is absolutely positively phobic and passes out at the sight of them, so I will be there to hold his hand and distract him and then take him for a treat after.

Speaking if treats...I decided to give up my afternoon Starbucks Cold Brew for Lent. I am telling you this so that I hold myself accountable. What was supposed to be a once a week reward for coming to treatment turned into a daily indulgence, so letting it go will definitely make me more mindful. 

I think that's it for me today, Dearies. I do hope that you will have a good day, and if you observe...a mindful Ash Wednesday. Come tell me all about your corner of the world today! Is it wonderfully swell?


20 comments:

  1. But Coni, you are slimmer than when you first went to dialysis! Yay! Tell JB to not look at the needle. That greatly helps. Take nice big slow breaths, concentrating on the breaths. It will be quick and easy. We are cold with intermittent power, but we are doing fine. Yeah, I'm cold and dressed with many layers of clothing, but I'm not truly freezing. We have food and water and reheat food when our power is on, so here we are good. The really bad part is that I can't do much stitching with all this down time, because of the lack of light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell JB that I had the shot and never felt it go in. They must use the very finest needle available. That has been the experience of friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Nancy said - although I haven't had my shot yet, my father and sister have. My father said that in all of his 86 years he has NEVER had a shot that he felt less. And my sister (who is special needs) who screams bloody murder when someone comes at her with a blood pressure cuff (LOL) was distracted by my Dad and didn't believe she had gotten the shot until she saw the shot giver putting a bandaid on her arm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby has had his first shot, I'm still waiting for mine! I'm only 64, but I'm a diabetic so thought I'd be eligible, but not yet. We haven't lost power here, but have no water at the moment. We Texans will be happy when our usual 50 degree February weather comes back this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely frozen fog on the trees! Tell JB it will be easy peasy! And over in a second! Mine didn’t hurt at all...sore arm that night and the next day. Scheduled for #2 on Friday. Can’t wait to see your progress on the new Mill Hill. Love all of the cardinals, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JB might have “orthostatic hypotension”.

    I got faint and almost passed out during blood tests, until my doc told me it is because my blood pressure drops during any “insult” to the body. So now I lie down for blood tests, sit up slowly after, and sit for 30 seconds or so afterward. Except when a tech didn’t believe me until I turned green as she started an IV.

    I’m sure hand holding helps too!

    I think the vaccine needles are extra small to get an extra dose out of the bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie I agree and at one point had a full set collection BUT grandchildren emptied the bins it was numerically sorted into and they are now in a muddle in one big bin (I use floss away bags for storing and projects, organized into plastic shoeboxes by number). I also need a new checklist to see what is missing/needing replacement. I just placed an order a week ago with ABC stitch as I needed one skein of gentle arts...and per your “bad influence “ bought a counted thread project as well. My $2.50 skein became $25 dollars at the push of a button. We are on day 2 of snow days here in the St Louis metro east (Illinois) and its bitter cold but beautiful to this former Minnesota girl. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Connie I agree and at one point had a full set collection BUT grandchildren emptied the bins it was numerically sorted into and they are now in a muddle in one big bin (I use floss away bags for storing and projects, organized into plastic shoeboxes by number). I also need a new checklist to see what is missing/needing replacement. I just placed an order a week ago with ABC stitch as I needed one skein of gentle arts...and per your “bad influence “ bought a counted thread project as well. My $2.50 skein became $25 dollars at the push of a button. We are on day 2 of snow days here in the St Louis metro east (Illinois) and its bitter cold but beautiful to this former Minnesota girl. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie I agree and at one point had a full set collection BUT grandchildren emptied the bins it was numerically sorted into and they are now in a muddle in one big bin (I use floss away bags for storing and projects, organized into plastic shoeboxes by number). I also need a new checklist to see what is missing/needing replacement. I just placed an order a week ago with ABC stitch as I needed one skein of gentle arts...and per your “bad influence “ bought a counted thread project as well. My $2.50 skein became $25 dollars at the push of a button. We are on day 2 of snow days here in the St Louis metro east (Illinois) and its bitter cold but beautiful to this former Minnesota girl. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Several places do carry full sets. But as you said , pricey. The full set was $454 on etsy. It would be cheaper to order 1 of each at 50 cents each! (447 X .50 = 223.50). You could just click 1 447 times while in the d-chsir 😄

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't understand the different prioritization for vaccine access in the different states. My under 65 relatives in NY are eligible based on medical conditions while here in NC they wouldn't be. It seems to me that dialysis patients ought to be eligible. Glad your JB will get the vaccine, though. Both shots were close to painless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you can wiggle your way in line for a vaccine tomorrow! Up here if a person in the household is eligible then the whole house can get it if they want. Or so I have been told.

    My dishwasher bit the biscuit so I am having a new one installed as we speak. I have to admit that washing dishes by hand wasn't so bad but I will be glad to have a working dishwasher again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yikes you reminded me that parking at my home tonight will be near impossible as I lived on the other side of the block from a catholic church. I did however remember that I gave up chocolate for Lent. I am Lutheran. Yes, although pricey wouldn't it be lovely to have all DMC threads? I know they are available somewhere! Maybe contact DMC and mention you are a kidney patient?
    Ruth in Oxnard CA>

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh - that's my favorite Mill Hill kit (though I've not stitched it). Looking forward to watching it come to life under your needle.

    Mary in MN

    ReplyDelete
  15. Years ago there were full sets of every color DMC had for sale. I bought 2!! Talk about feeling like a kid in a candy store. I was euphoric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too Marei. I don't remember that it was a full skein worth of a color though. And I had to wrap it around the little plastic spools yourself. that was a job. I still have it, but end up buying more and storing it differently than I did back then.

      Delete
  16. I have given up my afternoon chocolate treats for Lent, as instead of being treats, they turned into an everyday bad habit, so several weeks without, will make me appreciate them once again and I'll try to stick to once or twice a week after that. I have a full set of DMC that I accumulated years ago, even have half a dozen or more of some colours. Making cords and tassels uses a lot of thread, so I like to have plenty in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lent not an issue here, but I am cutting down my mugs of coffee. Strong and black so 4 times a day, maybe 5 depending whether I fancy one, not doing my sleep much good. So it is lemon and honey in water instead (cinnamon honey - very nice!). It might help with the weight too. Weather is bleh, from minus temperatures to almost double figures, so we have rain and gales again! I keep saying summer is coming.

    Your view with the festive branches look so pretty. Nice to see when inside in the warm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. DMC is currently offering a full set of cotton floss for $299 on their website. That's a pretty good deal!
    I love the look of hoarfrost on trees. We don't get it often in Pittsburgh, but used to get it often when I lived in the Netherlands. It made everything look like a fairytale. (The slick brick streets would be the troll in the tale)

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes, the vaccines are not being given right, my parents are 86 and 88. it should go by age and disability.

    ReplyDelete