Mar 17, 2020

AND THEN...WE CHANGED THE CHANNEL




Good morning, Dearies!

It's 5am in Hoosierville, and Yours Truly is in the Happy Chair with her peepers wide open and the damn good brewing away in the new brewing contraption. I'm pretty sure that the day will involve a nap, but for now, we're here and conscious, so we're going with it.

I think I finally fritzed out fully yesterday afternoon. There really is only so much stress a person can take before their better angels step in and just shut it all down. Fret, worry, despair, and angst are my only enemies at the moment. Peace, hope, faith, and strength will get me through.

Yeah.

That's gonna last.

As much as I would love to tell you that it's all love and light and peacefulness and calm over here, the truth of the matter is that I'm hitting the Benedril bottle pretty hard and making no apologies for it. I am not a candidate for anything heavier (like Xanax), but I know that getting good sleep and getting myself out of fight or flight mode is as important as washing my hands at this point. (*) So thanks to the magic of a mild sleep aid and thousands of pictures of pretty things to look at on the interwebs, I am determined to have a semi-normal Tuesday.

I have been happily stitching along on Plum Pudding:


I never seem to grow tired of this one. This last corner is going to be done before I know it, and then it will be time to fish through the cube room studio to see just what in the h-e-double hockey sticks I did with all of the beads.

One more of these, I think, and then it will be time to consider framing them. I keep seeing a big wall with four of them grouped together. Swell, huh?

On the reading front, I am about 3/4 of the way through:


How I came to select this one is completely beyond me, but it has been the perfect "next book" after The Night Circus and The Starless Sea.

Sunday, my Jersey Boy had the brilliant idea that we needed a little comfort food, so we had Thanksgiving in March:


I gotta tell ya...I was skeptical at first. You know me and turkey. It's a love/hate relationship that I normally confront only once a year. But this was absolutely delicious, and just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of...it did occur to me last night that getting out of routine during the next few weeks is going to be a killer, so I am going to do my very best to do my "five things" everyday to stay on track: read, write, cook, sleep, and stitch. For some reason, if I look back at a day and it includes all five of these things the world is in balance.

Another thing I'm going to do today is make a list of every single thing that is rattling around in my tiny little brain. If it's something I can control or do something about, then on the list it stays and onto the fridge it goes. If, however, it is completely beyond my control (like curing a worldwide pandemic and stopping any more people from getting sick and comforting those that are), the it's getting crossed off once and for all and I'm letting the professionals do their thing,

Observe...not absorb is my new mantra. I know it will probably only be my mantra for the next seven minutes or so, but at least they'll be a nice quiet seven minutes.

OK. Enough blathering. Happy Tuesday, Dearies! Stay safe and well, do something kind for yourself or somebody else, and remember to breathe!







(*) If you're terrified or sad or mad or lonely or just want to hold hands (virtually) for a bit, or if you need a friend to just talk you off the ledge...I'm here. We're all in this together, kids. Don't be shy.



11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing better. I'm really happy that you have your man for company, too! I've been suggesting to my daughter that she stick to a schedule with the children, too, which will help the day go faster for the kids. Thank God they have school work via the internet! It's a little lonely here at my house. I'm alone with my Yorkie, Reilly as my husband works in DC (security) but we are hanging in there. I'm getting things done around the house and stitching on some spring/Easter bowl fillers. Take care, Coni! You, too, reach out if you need to vent or share some joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fabulous day, Coni! Your turkey meal sounded (and looked) yummy. Plum Pudding is looking good. I like your 5 things and might give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Make a plan and go from there! I will virtually hold your hand any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Observe, not absorb...brilliant. It will help when my mail is inundated with pleas from charities I never heard of. I got hooked and they started reminders treating it like a monthly due bill. Now I have a legitimate chosen few/many and
    no more fretting. I appreciate your solid plans, Coni, and the virtual handclasp of caring. That Thanksgiving feast looks delicious....enjoy. Plum Pudding remains fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Coni, you asked for it...

    So, not long ago my husband of 25 years left me...basically. We had been in counseling at his suggestion for a couple of months, but I knew that he really had one foot out the door already and was hoping for a quick fix. (I tried to tell him that the goal of therapy is to come out of it mentally and emotionally happier, not for a particular desired outcome.) Anyway, he broke the news to me 2 days before our 25 anniversary. How romantic! And then told me that I needed to find roommate by the end of the month. Riiight. Long story short, we are separated, he has moved out and now I'm trying to sort through all the things. I told him that it was NOT reasonable to expect me to go from being married one day to living with a complete stranger 2 weeks later. That was NOT going to happen. However, I really DO need a roommate if I am going to keep the sweet little house (and I do mean little....1,000 sq ft) that I love so dearly. (We downsized from a larger house about 1.5 years ago.) I do have another month or so. I was hoping my mother would be ready to move from Phoenix to Asheville, but as helpful for both of us as that might have been, it is not likely. I do still have my job, thankfully. Not likely to lose it. The hardest part is while I am fine with the idea of a roommate, my standards are pretty high, so I'm concerned about finding the right match. Basically,, any prayers you would like to say for me would be welcome. (My name is pronounced De - BOR (long o) - a. I just want to make sure God knows who you are talking about. ;) )

    Thank you, Coni for brightening my world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, I was in your situation 27 years ago. I was devastated and pretty financially broke as well. Everything piled up. At the time, a friends said that this could be the best thing that ever happened to me, although I couldn't see it. Well, this past February I celebrated 25 years of marriage to a wonderful man who is the best thing that ever happened to me. I hope your life turns out as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank you 3millplainrd! I know everything happens for a reason and while it may not actually be the best thing that has EVER happened to me, it may be the best thing that could happen for me right now.

      Delete
  6. Oh and by the way, my husband is not a bad man, he's just not happy. I'm hoping that he can find some happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are having these problems now. If he is smart and lucky, he will learn that while the grass might be greener, it still has to be mowed. His problems are his and will still be with him while he runs. God bless you and give you strength in your time of trials.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sherry L! I never heard it put that way, but it is apt, for sure. I know I'll make it through, but a little encouragement is always welcome. :)

      Delete
  7. Yum! And I do love the little rodent thingy sniffing the flower too. When I was young we used to have turkey at Easter, so not unusual for me to see you having a nice treat and glad you enjoyed it. Plum pudding is probably my favourite so far! Will be great to see it completed.
    Our new big duck house delivery has been delayed. I hope it arrives in the next week or I'll have a little house full of little quackers. And I can hear a jackdaw (like a crow but smaller - stunning blue eyes!) is trying to nest in our chimney, the little beast! LOL! Stay safe everyone, we are staying inside - thank goodness for supermarket delivery services! Take care and stay sew good.

    ReplyDelete