Sep 20, 2018

OH, MY GOODNESS, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

I've just had the most delicious thing for dinner, and even though I ate it two hours ago and have since cleaned up the kitchen, taken a bath, and read the paper, I can't stop thinking about it.

Pepper and egg.

More specifically, a pepper, onion, egg and provolone sandwich on Atlantic City Italian bread.

Jersey Boy/Mr.Spinster/Magoo called it a poor man's cheesesteak, and he told me that this was his favorite sandwich from the White House sandwich shop in AC when he was growing up as a kid because you could get it and a soda pop for sixty cents.

Sautee onion and green pepper until both are soft and a bit carmelized. Add beaten eggs and combine all together until the egg is cooked, add provolone cheese on top to melt a bit and then put it all in a delicious sub type roll, and viola'...a pepper and egg.

I wanted to hate it, I really did. 

But it was wonderfully delicious and all within my kidney diet. Eggs and cheese are good protein, the veggies are both on the approved list, and the bread (although a carb) is OK because it is not mulit-grain.

That's it for my culinary adventures tonight, Dearies. I am going to call it an early night and head back to bed now, since all of the good meds have worn off and Buzzy is screaming.

See you on the flip side!

14 comments:

  1. It sounds pretty good to me.

    I hope the pain subsides quickly.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia (on a borrowed device)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great when an easy, yummy, and healthy thing comes along! You hit the jackpot with that one. I will have to try it. With different bread
    Get a good rest if you can. Happy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious way to end a less than wondrous day! I hope it inspires Buzzy to improve his behaviour. Just one thing puzzles me, probably because, touch wood, my kidneys have been behaving themselves so I don't have your extensive experience - what makes multigrain bread a No-No? And are any other forms of bread on the naughty list? Inquiring minds would love to know. All the best from slightly chilly South Africa, very welcome because it was in the high 90s for days. Keep cosy and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deborah! The culprit in whole grains is phosphorous. It's in quite a few things, but dialysis can't adequately filter it the way healthy kidneys can. So I try to avoid it as much as possible and take a calcium acetate binder with every meal to help eliminate it.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, Texas stitcher, it will be good but the italian roll is what makes the sandwich perfect! See if your grocery store sells them in pkgs of 6? The rolls are not soft hot dog rolls or sourdough rolls. They are soft inside and crusty outside and when you put the pepper, onion and scrambled egg inside it is to die for. I love cheese but don't use it on my sandwich but my husband does. One of my fav go to dinners in a rush! Enjoy ladies!!! (Now I may have to go have one for breakfast! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Coni, I hope you and Buzzy had a good night's sleep....dreaming of the delicious sounding sandwich perhaps? We will be giving that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sandwich sounded yummy; well, except for the onion. I think you should have them once a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good to me too! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ask JB about the famous Jimmy Buff and LaBarca Italian
    hot dog with peppers/potatoes/onions of NJ renown. The fine
    Italian olive oil moistening the pizza bread is what highlights the taste experience. So glad you relished JB's
    rendition..that too shall be deducted from your time in Paradise...LOL. Hope you are feeling back on track today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear HH! Indeed he is familiar! It's a north Jersey thing, but his aunt used to make it for him! (He's from south Jersey...Atlantic City).

      Now I'm craving hot dogs! 😳

      Delete
  9. Coni, we always had pepper and egg growing up. Yes, the bread truly makes it. But now that I have a hard time with peppers, I use zucchini in its place. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy! Reminds me of my youth in NJ. Taylor ham sandwiches - fried, of course. And today I had an egg cream at The Lucky Dill in Palm Harbour, FL. I CAN make an egg cream at home, but I try not to think about them as they are pretty caloric. I try to save them for special vacation trips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do egg sandwiches a lot like that but never put provolone on them. Thanks for the tip! I will definitely be trying it.

    ReplyDelete