Aug 16, 2017

VANITY, THY NAME IS...SPINSTER

So a funny thing happened last night at grocery guild.  My stitchy sisters and I had a lovely time of it, chatting and such, and I was just so darn happy to be there I thought they were going to have to stun gun me into behaving myself.

They paid me some lovely compliments about...something related to how I look, and I blushed furiously and said thank you and wanted to crawl under the table.  I was clean and had clothes on and had managed to run a brush through my hair, but ready for the prom?  Not so much.

And then it happened.

They complimented my stitching.  Miss Katy even used the word "workmanship", and I thought my heart would just burst itself right out of my old lady big top.

To be told that you are a good stitcher by a group of...amazingly expertly wonderfully perfect stitchers is better than being told that you look like the younger sister of Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Lauren.

At least in my book.

I always knew that I had a streak of vanity in here somewhere, but I always thought it would be related to my job or my house or my ability to be the most socially inept person in a room full of socially inept people...but all this time it turns out that my vanity was lurking in my stitchy bag!

I promise you that this puffed-up attitude will go away the minute I pick up my needle this afternoon and start playing with Gertie (damn compensation), but for now I'm going to sit here and bask in the glow of nice things that were said about my ability to follow a chart and put thread to fabric.  The vanity will be replaced quickly with humility, I'm sure...but for now it's just lovely to think that I might be getting something right once in a while! 

14 comments:

  1. You need to bask in the glow of nice things. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE an artist! Never doubt it! ⚘
    Luv
    MaryO1230

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I think you're pulling our collective leg! You built a blog (and fan base) around your beautiful stitching and you don't recognize that your work is amazing? C'mon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What have we been telling you right along? Get with the
    "I am someone special" program ..and you share it beautifully with us....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come now, Coni, you are a great stitcher. Don't ever tell yourself otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inspired many of us with your beautiful stitching, in fact I was shocked when you mentioned that you hadn't been stitching all that long...and take from this gal who has been stitching since I was 6 years old...your handiwork deserves the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, your stitching is gorgeous - and I've admired your ability to jump in to 'compensating'. Still a little intimidated myself. You are our stitching hero Coni !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coni......your Special Power is your beautiful stitching, along with your ability to share your wit on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And if that vanity makes you put extra effort where you normally don't that can't be a bad thing? Your stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well if I could add my two cents. You are a wonderful stitcher and i would love to get to be as good a stitcher! Nothing wrong with a little vanity. Ever heard look good feel good. We could now add stitch good feel good

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to be given such lovely compliments. I certainly don't think it is vanity that makes you feel wonderful when you get them, I think it is more that the self doubt you hold or modesty you hold within is suddenly allowed to turn around and you are able to show pride. And girl you should show your pride in yourself and what you do everyday and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stitching IS beautiful! ....and I wish I could write as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are right and you should be proud of your stitching! It is beautiful! As are you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have inspired many of us with your beautiful stitching,
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete