Apr 3, 2009

MORE REASONS WHY I NEED ADULT SUPERVISION

OK, now before you start hyperventilating, please know that this is just a mock-up of the latest crazy ass idea I had for tarting up a needlework project. As y'all know, I have been in LOVE with LJP's "Daisy Collage" from the moment I set my beedie little eyes on it. Every stitch of this piece has been a joy, and if it weren't for all of the other things waiting patiently in my TO DO basket, I'd stitch this one over and over again.

So there I was, minding my own business, when I thought about how cool it would be to have dimension in the center of the piece. The chart has gorgeous daisies done in tent stitch, but before I started that section I thought I'd play around a little but so that I didn't disappoint myself with my lousy tent stitch capability (I want them to look PERFECT! and since we all know how far away from PERFECT! I can be, I decided to avoid the inevitable frustration). At first I thought of felted flowers or stumpwork, but since I have zero experience in those departments and cannot have another CRAFT DAY GONE AWRY, I thought perhaps a silk flower would look pretty cool? So I fished out the first silk daisy I could find from Stewey's craft cupboard and I have to admit I was pretty pleased with the result. I like the color and size of the flower, but I would definitely center it better and then mount it down into the canvas so that it doesn't project too much (because daisies are ladies, after all, and do NOT project when not necessary).

I thought I would frame the finished piece, but my VBSDF Laura J. Perin Her Very Self pointed out that this would make a really lovely pillow for that big day bed I'm planning in my head. If I knew that I could find suitable flowers for her lovely designs, I would start shipping these out to every single stitcher who is working on a flower from the "Collage" series, and we'd make the world a gorgeous place.

As you can see from the pic, I am making good progress on the lattice work stitches in the background. I'm using WDW floss...one strand...and the shading is showing up nicely!

Aunt Chrissy and I are off to a craft show tomorrow. I've never been to one, but Aunt Chrissy assures me that there will be plenty there to keep me occupied. Buckle your seatbelts, kids. This should be interesting! Woo Hoo!

EDITED TO ADD: Thank you Jane! Lovely Jane sent me to: http://alliesinstitches.blogspot.com/2008/08/spring-cqcenter-finished.html. I. Am. Blown. Away. I swear, as the stitchy gods are my witness, I will learn to make something that beautiful if it's the last thing I ever do!

8 comments:

  1. I LIKE IT! The three D thing is great!

    It's different, and so you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea! How very floral you are. Every time you show us a new part of that piece, I like it even more.

    You girls have fun being crafty tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, check out this needlework: http://alliesinstitches.blogspot.com/2008/08/spring-cqcenter-finished.html

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely georgeous! What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is so beautiful! Great idea to add the silk flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that flower in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a silk flower in the centre too, but I really think the flower you chose is a bit too big and takes away from the beautiful stitching you've done. A smaller flower and a softer shade of orange in my honest opinion will look a lot nicer and not take away from the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a hoot! I love reading your blog! I especially enjoy reading what the "Stewmeister" has to say!

    ReplyDelete