Jul 2, 2008

CHRISSY'S REVERSE ROTATION

So there I was, minding my own business, when the phone rang. "I've decided", Chrissy announced, "that I am going to start a reverse rotation."

We usually start our conversations that way....no preliminaries. Just get right to the point. Well, apparently, my sister has decided that life's just too darn short and her stash of projects is just too darn tempting.

So....every Sunday night she is going to start a NEW project. That's right. Something new that is in her stash that she has been wanting to work on forever. She'll play with it during the week and see how much she gets done, and then, on the next Sunday night.....wait for it.....she'll start something new again!

I personally think this is a wonderful rotation. It basically says "If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, at least I will have had a blast picking up projects that I've wanted to stitch forever". Chrissy said that if she gets to the end of the year and has 100 open WIP's she won't feel one bit bad about it. Brava.

As for me, I plugged away on my big red sunflower last night. Painted canvases always intimidate me a bit, because I never seem to be able to pick the "right" stitch for a particular area. So last night I just went with whatever I felt like and I really like the results! I can't believe I've let this one languish for so long....it didn't growl at me or bite my fingers or leave me with any bruises. It just sat there patiently while I added Silk 'n Ivory to a few of its petals. Ahhhhh.
I think I'm going to do all of the black parts in the actual sunflower in shiny black beads. Really glitz this up. As for the black background...I'm not sure yet, but I've got stitch books for reference and I'm not afraid to use them!

We're off to the library tonight. I saw an ad in the paper for a group that meets there every few weeks to stitch, so Chrissy and I thought we'd give it a try. The lovely lady on the phone said that most of the attendees will knit or crochet, but that stitchers of all types are welcome. Just what I needed to hear! Methinks we'll hit the Starbucks for some sustenance on the way. Woo hoo!

12 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your sister's rotation. Maybe 2009 will be "the year I had 100 new projects." Oh, yes, even more selfish than selfish stitching that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her idea! How wonderful. I'll use it as my rationalization for the little accident I had at the needlework shop today. No, I didn't see this post first, but it'll still work. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coni,

    Wow, imagine starting a new
    project every Sunday night!
    I'd be knee deep in unfinished stitching in no time, and
    feeling a bit overwhelmed. One
    or two at a time is my quota
    I'm afraid.

    Your pin keeps and your scissor
    holders look wonderful. Far
    better then anything I could
    manage I think. Sadly, we don't
    have Joanns here in Canada.
    Just Michaels.

    Your red flower start is looking
    good already and I love the type
    of stitch that you're using for
    the petals. It looks really great
    from the photo.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sunflower is beautiful. I love your sister's idea. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Chrissy's onto something!

    Love all your little finishes, they turned out fantastic. And your needlepoint is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what your sister is going to do. You will have to keep us posted as she goes along, does she have a blog?? I've been so tempted to do something like that but I start to get anxious if I have more than 5 projects going at once.

    I love your needlepoint piece. As soon as I scrolled down and saw it I thought "what a gorgeous stitch she did for the petals". Nice job. Silk & Ivory is one of my favorite fibers to work with.

    Have a great day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Your petal stitch is very complimentary and the beads will be a great accent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Coni,

    I like Chrissy's rotation idea and I'm laughing at the thought of 52 - 100 new Works in Progress at the end of the year!

    The petals are working up nicely. Don't ya just love Silk and Ivory? It's one of my favorite threads!

    Yes, black beads and lot's of them would make this piece sparkle. How about french knots for the center of the flower? I'd also think about a thin black metallic for the background or some silk. This would help the eyes rest before they reached the border. Then really make the checkered border pop with a very geometric stitch. Hmmm... So many possibilities! :-)

    Did you have fun with the stitching group?

    Cynthia
    Windy Meadow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chrissy has a fun idea. Cant wait to hear how she does. Im sure Stewie may have a few comments to say about this as well (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Chrissy's idea, but even better I LOVE the red sunflower! One of my very favorite pieces of cross stitch is an orange sunflower, I did black beads for the center and irridescent beads around the outside, I need to take a picture!

    ReplyDelete