Apr 5, 2023

WE'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER SALAD BOWL...


 

This took entirely too much time to do today, but I am simply determined to never throw away another unused vegetable again. This prep makes it very easy to make a healthy choice at 5:30 when I'm ready to go face first into DoorDash, so I've got that going for me too.

(The containers were a bargain from the Costco, and as long as I'm careful to open or close their little vents, they really do seem to prolong the life of whatever is in them.)

(But if anybody has any good tips for this kind of thing and how I can do it better...I'm all ears.)

No stitching to report, I'm afraid. Our silly weather has thrown me into a bit of a headache cycle, so I am ending up in bed instead of happily ensconced with needle and thread.

Happy Futzingday, Dearies. I hope that you are well and that you have everything you need to be perfectly, wonderfully happy!

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely array of salad fixings!! Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veggie prep makes a world of difference! I've been using plastic storage and want to move to glass, I'll be sure to check Costco. I always put in a paper towel to capture excess moisture and it does seem to extend the life of the veggie. I have also found that lettuce seems to do better if I tear it by hand versus using a knife to cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- so much colourful organization!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use a Thatsa Bowl from Tupperware - i buy 5 bags of lettuce, arugula, greens and mix in cucumber and peppers and it keeps for a week or until we are done with it - it's just me and my hubby but we eat salad everyday for lunch and it is never smarmy. I put a paper towel over it and be sure to burp!!! ( the bowl, lol) you can burp too if you want. :)
    I wish you all the best Coni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out Clean Food Dirty Girl . She has many hints for batch cooking. Her recipes are all plant based, but I suspect you can toss in a meat substitution here and there. A friend of mine has been following her blog and using her techniques for about 15 months now and i down about 80 pounds and 10 points on each bp measurement. She finds time for this while running a farm and raising 7 kids! (4 blood, 3 foster)
    By the way, I am always flabbergasted by your fridge. Mine looks like somebody upended a bin bag into it and yours is so neat and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like the look of your food prep results, you’re so organised!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your prepped veggies look amazing, Coni. Like the containers! Do you recall which brand?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are inspiring me. I need to do this. I hate daily prep and don't eat enough veggies for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe check out saladinajar.com for other ideas… I’ve read good things about that vacuum sealing method. I plan to try it but haven’t yet. Your way is very organized!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's another plug from the paper towel lobby... learned from my frugal (formerly farmer) parents: a folded (to fit container) DRY paper towel in the BOTTOM of the container works wonders. with boxed lettuce mixes, lay across top of container and store container upside down in fridge. Enjoy your nibbles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mean to be anon, just sweet Lou in blistering South Texas.

      Delete