Jul 5, 2022

IN WHICH THE SPINSTER DECIDES TO BE STILL AND PONDER FOR A MINUTE





Hello, Dearies.

We've just returned from some sploshing in the pool, and I am freshly showered, a teeny bit sun burnt, and contemplating what to make for dinner. I'm leaning toward sandwich wraps...roast beef for Rich and turkey or chicken and lots of veg for me, but there is always the possibility of a lovely salad.

My JB heading to New Jersey for a few weeks to visit with his mom, and I am looking forward to a productive and healthy Spinstercation. I've already managed to drop a couple of pounds since sitting up in the buggy again, so I'm hoping I can continue with daily sploshings and good clean healthy eating for the duration.

Getting myself mentally organized is going to take longer, I'm afraid. I seem to be all over the place lately, and find myself getting sucked into the news channels and iPad and internet nonsense, and before you know it, I'm hollering at nothing and getting completely fatooshed (*) over the silliest things.

So I'm going to straighten up my routines a bit and include more of what makes my head and heart happy and less of what makes me want to move to Neptune. For a person who can't get out of her own way most of the time, I sure do take on a lots of grief over trying to figure out how to be the boss of everybody else.

I'm still enjoying Baked Alaska, and I really do want to give it my full attention and then take the four pieces together to be framed. Once this is finished, it might be time to dig through that Fuppy box again and see what else might be nice to get on the wall, and have a major re-hang of the front "gallery" wall.

On the reading front, I had a delightful few weeks reading and watching all anout the making of the Oxford English Dictionary. First, I read The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams. Then I read The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester, and I finished by watching the movie based on this book, starring Mel Gibson, Sean Penn, and Natalie Dormer.

I thought all were wonderful.

I'm thinking about re-bingeing either Outlander or Yellowstone in the next week, or I might even see what docuseries are out there to lose a few days in.

So that about does it for me today. I hope your neck of the world is exactly as you would hope it to be! Come tell me all about it!

(*) fatooshed isn't a real word. Donna Moss makes it up in an episode of the West Wing when she tells Toby that she doesn't want him visiting Josh because he gets him all fatooshed.

(I love that word. Sometimes the only way to describe that feeling of being out of sorts is to say you're just plain fatooshed.)

11 comments:

  1. Coni, have you watched Black Sails? Worth your time. Charles Vane will knock your socks clean off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's still out there, but Dirty John was a great several episode series based on a true story. Lots of deception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say fatooshed is too a word. At least now it is. Words gotta start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I like that word and it should be added to the dictionary. Looking forward to seeing your progress and upcoming finish on Baked Alaska, Coni. Enjoy your Spinstercation while JB is back east.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading about the adventures os our intrepid Spinster! I was wondering how you were losing weight while indulging in Baked Alaska but then I caught on!!! I have a new word for you - Moojavive. Everything that is good. Totally made up by a friend and all the kids thought it was real. Boojavive is everything bad. "Coni had a moojavive time in the pool but a boojavive event when she stubbed her toe!" Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For someone who just got back in the saddle, you certainly have traveled a fair piece! Wonderful! I always love revisiting West Wing. They all had such good hearts. Sometimes it fill me with hope for the human race. Other times it frustrates me that I don't see more examples of good people working together. I have been rewatching the old Perry Mason series. In addition to the mysteries, I love the fashions and hairstyles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the word. Should be in the OED!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kinda like saying "I feel discomboulated"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Professor and the Madman and loved it. I didn't know that there was a movie with Mel Gibson and will look for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must remember "fatooshed"! That's a great word. Well done for getting back into sploshings! Cheers, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fatooshed may not be a real word, but “fattoush” is a real thing! A day or two after reading this post, I saw it on a menu, so had to look it up and share.

    “ Fattoush is essentially a "bread salad," said to have originated in Northern Lebanon. Lebanese farmers would fry leftover pita scraps in a bit of olive oil for extra flavor.”
    https://www.themediterraneandish.com/fattoush-salad/

    ReplyDelete