Oct 28, 2020

WEDNESDAY SHENANAGINS...


This tote is what I am calling my comfort bag. It will basically takes the place of a purse/handbag, since it will contain everything I would want with me if I were stranded on a dessert island or in the hospital getting a new kidney: wallet, iPad, phone, and chargers, book, stitchy project, coloring book and markers, a sherpa wrap with pockets, fuzzy socks, hair ties and a headband, a comb, face wipes, moisturizer, lip balm, eye drops, hand cream, antibacterial wipes, tweezers, nail file, cuticle nippers, safety pins, bandaids, day planner, sippy cup, pen, notepad, tissues, lens cloth and cleaner, extra eyeglasses, power bar/Bel Vita, cough drops, breath mints, anti-nasuea meds, Tylenol, toothbrush/toothpaste, mascara, lipstick, magazines, an extra pair of underpants...and Stewey.

(All contained in perfectly sized leopard print cosmetic bags and organizers that should be here tomorrow from the amazons and cost less than my shoes from Target that were eight dollars.)

Too much?

Keep in mind that my little suitcase for the hospital will have pajamas, slippers, a set of clothes to go "home", and a toiletry bag with all of the above (minus Stewey) and little shampoo, soap, etc. so the comfort bag is essentially a back up.

I promised myself that I would just CHILL the heck out already and focus on one thing at a time, but my propensity for making things difficult has kicked into overdrive. That's OK, though. Dr Melfi tells me that this obsessive list-writing and planning and planning and list-writing is my way of feeling in control of something that is majorly OUT of my control, and if I need to do it to have a calm and peaceful transplant, then obsess about it I shall.

Besides...I'm never better than when I am compulsively organizing things into bags, boxes, and containers, so who cares if I've gone completely 'round the bend, right?

I've been keenly aware of this happy little quirk of mine most recently by achieving stitchy Nirvana. Figuring out the exact contents of a "kit" has helped me enjoy the actual stitching so much more, that I'm sad I didn't figure it out sooner. My kit contents might change somewhere down the line, but for now, the peace if mind it's providing convinces me that having a kidney transplant "kit" is a good thing.

(I just happen to have five of them.)


So, Dearies. Thank you from the bottom of my pitiful little heart. First and foremost to Miss Susan heading up the YouCaring fund and for all of your overwhelming generosity in contributing to it. I simply cannot imagine the stress I would feel if you hadn't taken that off my plate. Knowing that I can afford the post-surgery meds and the hotel and meals, etc during recovery has literally saved my life. Thank you. A thousand thank yous.

And...thank you for indulging my crazy and for coming on this journey with me. I have absolutely no earthly idea where we're going or when we're going to get there, but boy are we gonna have fun when we do!!

Time for soup, I think. I dud well during treatment today, but haven't had anything to eat yet (and it's five o'clock!) and I'm feeling a little...peckish.

Love love love, kisses kisses kisses, and hugs hugs hugs (all socially distanced, of course). Do something crazy and come tell me all about it! 


19 comments:

  1. It gives me joy to know that our small gifts a while ago are bearing fruit to see you through recovery. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had open heart surgery 25 years ago and what I enjoyed most was the compact DVD player (new at that time!). Audiobooks might be good because the anesthesia tends to hang on for a bit. ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the list making. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not, but it makes me feel better. Keep on being you, and you will sail through it all perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much? Too little? Who knows - better to have too much and then at least you have all your bases covered. And a very neat bag it is too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm of the mind that it is better to have too much than not enough and then have to scrounge for it. By the way, where did you get your 'C' comfort bag, Coni?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Dr. Melfi. You do you. When I was reading the contents of your comfort bag, it was starting to sound more like a Mary Poppins bag! Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was (and continue to be) thrilled and amazed that so many people joined the little thing I set up. Not only did it support you financially, it took away your stress and confirmed how many of us love and support you.

    And I also agree with Toni -- it IS a Mary Poppins bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Coni, but the one thing I see missing from your list is spare facemasks. I don't know U.S. rules but here in the UK we'd need them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that our stitching community came together and donated to the fund Susan organized. We all love you and are praying for you, now that your transplant surgery is happening very soon.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. How to I contact Susan Anonymouse to contribute to the You caring fund?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know this, too --- hadn't heard anything about it but I'd like to help. -- Barbara

      Delete
  11. I love your tote! Does it have a zipper?
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shove in a colorful cord you can attach to the call button and the edge of your bed. white sheets, white cord, white button and blurry eyes make the darned thing impossible to locate if it scooches under the blankets or falls onto the floor.
    This is getting so exciting! I'm really looking forward to you getting the call that it's GO TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you’ve got everything under control, Coni ♥️ Just curious if the YouGiving link is the same as we used for the previous fundraiser for you or if Susan changed the link since it’s been some time?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you’ve got everything under control, Coni ♥️ Just curious if the YouGiving link is the same as we used for the previous fundraiser for you or if Susan changed the link since it’s been some time?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you’ve got everything under control, Coni ♥️ Just curious if the YouGiving link is the same as we used for the previous fundraiser for you or if Susan changed the link since it’s been some time?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really seems real to me now that you have your bag packed! I'm so happy for you that this chapter of your life is coming to an end. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete