Aug 25, 2019

SUNDAY SPINSTER BLISS

I don't talk about it very much, but I fell away from the Catholic church a few years ago and have just recently started making my way back thanks to JB. Up until about a month or so ago, he went to Mass every Sunday by himself, but on July 21 (what would have been my dear dad's 87th birthday), I put on my shoes and socks and headed to the Basilica over at Notre Dame with JB betting that it would be another year before I did so.

I'm happy to report that I've managed to go every Sunday since, and despite JB not being here, I got myself up, ready, and out the door yet again today.

Instead of the Basilica, though, I went to what is technically my parish and what is the church just down the street, St. Pius X of Granger.
This is the new church, and it really is quite pretty. I believe it was dedicated in 2017, and it's part of a pretty big complex that includes the old church, a huge grade school, and a lot of space for meetings, events, and other things.

St. Pius is a huge congregation, and from what I can tell, full of very young and very large families. The church was absolutely packed today (because it just so happens to be the Solemnity of St. Pius!), and I would guess that at least 60% of the attendees were kids under the age of fifteen.

The music was beautiful and the sermon was great, but I confess I do like the Basilica a little better. It feels more like home.

I treated myself to McDonalds breakfast and then came home to read the paper, futz about at my desk with bills and paperwork, and then I had a proper planning session in my Erin Condren. I haven't done that in several months, so it felt great to get back into the weekly format and play with stickers again!

The kitchen is clean and soon I'll begin cooking a lovely dinner for myself of steak and veg kabobs with roasted potatoes. I've been looking forward to it for a few weeks now, so hopefully it will hit the spot.

On the stitchy front, I am playing with Mary Poppins:

I'm trying to outline all of the large solidly stitched areas here at home because of the fussy counting, so filling in should be a breeze in the d-chair! I wish I would have thought of that earlier, but it seems like these revelations are slow to hit my tiny little brain sometimes!

So that's the Sunday report for me, Dearies! I hope your very own Sunday has been as happy and blissful as mine has. We're off like a herd of turtles into a new week...what's on your agenda for it?

8 comments:

  1. Coni, I am glad that you are making your way back to the Church. I seldom miss Mass and need it to get me through the week. (The picture of the church you showed is beautiful, but I can understand why you like the Basilica even more.)

    Hopefully attending will help you get through the many trials you are faced with these days. It certainly cannot hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After long absence I’m picking up cross stitch again. More shopping than stitching but just ordered a pumpkin piece. Good work on the weight loss.
    - marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coni, you are, as always, an inspiration! Today involved a couple cups of dammed good, sunshine, a few chores, and stitching. Delightful! I hope your week is as pleasant as my day has been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to the Church! I know that my Catholic faith has brought me through some tough times, and I find strength in Mass and the sacraments. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coni, it sounded like a fabulous day you had! How were the steak/veggie kabobs? We enjoyed the sunshine/cooler temps here and there was stitching and reading tossed in as well. Have a super Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a church person myself, but attended a Catholic convent school which I did love. We are lucky enough to have medieval churches - some with pagan carvings - and the beauty of them are astounding, from stained glass, to medieval wall paintings and the carvings of stone and wood. Victorian ones - nah, not so much. I love the older works. Hubby loves architecture so we are always popping in to visit them in our travels.
    How busy you have been lately - kudos girl, good to see you out and about exploring on your own. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect your heart never left the Church... just a renewal now of Mass attendance...a mitzvah for JB..You are organized beyond imagining, Coni. what you fit into a Sunday... The
    Mary Poppins theme fits you...courageous one unafraid to open
    a new door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely day all around it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete