Aug 7, 2017

DAY THREE...IN WHICH GERTIE COMES OUT TO PLAY

They sent Mother Superior(*) for me this morning, because I could not get out of the little girl dorm bed and there was some degree of worry starting that I would sleep the day away.

(*) In the context of Donaldson this year, Miss Charlene becomes Mother Superior...replacing Mother Emeritus, Miss Myrtis.

(Donaldson is home to Ancilla College and is the Mothership for the Poor Handmaids flavor of nun, so my goofy titles are...fitting.)

(But the Catholic school girl in me is still giggling at the idea of being down here with all of my stitchy sisters being naughty by eating lots of "bad" snacks and stayig up past our bedtime.)

Today I decided to play with Gertie, aka Margaret Jane Gertrude Thorson...she is also called "Bluebird" and is designed by Ellen Giggenbach and is a class from the inimitable Miss Ruth Schmuff Her Very Self of Beadecked and Beadazzled fame.
Only two rows of tent completed so far because...see above, but I am enjoying this immensely.

Physically, I am a crock pot full of hot mess and am suffering with terrible leg cramps at night and the inability to walk very well during the day, but so far they haven't had to jump start me with anything more than a damn good cup of coffee each morning and iced tea in the afternoon. 

I am learning not to try to keep up with the ladies around me and have finally come to the conclusion that a back bench seat on Junior Varsity suits me just fine...these gals play Varsity ball, and they play it well!

Home tomorrow, dearies!  

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of retreat!! Glad you are enjoying it!! VC(very cute) project!!!! When I had bad leg cramps (story for another day) my dr had me taking potassium. May not work for you but wouldn't hurt to check. Hang in, girl. You will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous design that is. I am looking forward to seeing it develop. I was also a Catholic schoolgirl. When I have had occasion as an adukt to stay in similar dorms I have had those same feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Miss Myrtis hang up the needle or just pass the baton to someone else to organize Donaldson? Never went there while living in IN ... sounds like I missed out on quite the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project Gertie is! Sorry to hear about the leg cramps. It sounds like you are having an enjoyable retreating, Coni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potassium, calcium with magnesium & sip Gatorade
    Blessings
    Baa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just respond, ..."Yes, S'ter!".. to everyone and do what you're told. Let your dear fellow sisters take good care of you and keep enjoying yourself. Hugs, Missy. -p.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm telling you Coni, put a bar of soap (in package or not) in your bed. Neither my husband nor I have had a leg cramp since we tried this. Pure magic and an old wife's tale that somehow works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have done this and say it has to be Irish Spring soap and that it works.

      Delete
    2. My Mom swallows a spoonful of yellow mustard...I know, Yuck! But it works for her. I'm not sure if it has medicinal qualities or just the shock to the taste buds makes you forget the cramp. ;o)

      Delete
  8. Safe trip home and when I retire (May 1st
    2019). I would like to join you ladies, and if you like I will drive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this piece! No wonder you are enjoying it. Please remember. You come first above all. Take care of yourself dear Coni. You matter to an awful lot of people, including me. Sending love, hugs & prayers, Cathryn ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Potassium, calcium with magnesium & sip Gatorade
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreeing with all above.... banana & Gatorade! So glad you are having a good time... party on! Safe travels coming home. You'll probably need some 'happy chair' time when you return. So relax & smile!!! Hugs & prayers

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds so fun. I've gone to some scrapbook weekends and loved your analogy to sports teams. I'm always on JV because I can't operate on the 4-5 hrs of sleep those ladies get. I don't get nearly as much done as they do because I'm a sleep wimp. It is what it is. Make it YOUR retreat in all aspects. I agree with the recommendations from above.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is a pretty one! And as long as you are enjoying yourself who cares what bench you sit on :)

    ReplyDelete