May 2, 2017

POINTS OF CLARIFICATION

Dear Friends...

Oh, I just hate it when I blather about something other than stitching on this here blog, but so many of you have asked me questions about the current state of affairs that I figured a little status update might be in order.

On the health front, I am a Stage Five (also known as End Stafe Renal Failure) kidney patient.  This means that my kidney function (or filtration rate) has dropped below 15%.  I had the surgery in January to prepare my veins for hemo dialysis so that the graph would have plenty of time to heal before starting that.  The decision to start dialysis will be made when I can no longer function adequately, and the docs are unable to help me "limp along" with medication.

In the meantime, though, I also underwent all of the testing and evaluation for a kidney transplant, with the hope that I could avoid dialysis altogether.  I was accepted into the Indiana University transplant program at the end of March with the understanding that my sister might be an eligible donor and a good match. Today I found out that I have type B blood, which means that my wait on the list for a match from another donor will be six to eight years....thus a kidney from her would be quite a blessing.

As you know from reading this blog, my relationship with my sister broke and became problematic in 2013.  The last four years have been fraught with heartbreak, tears, and more ups and downs than I can even begin to explain, but as of last Thursday, my sister's ongoing participation in the kidney donation process is now entirely in question because of choices she made about how she wanted to live her life.  I haven't spoken to her, and I have no idea if she will do what she needs to do to move forward.  All I do know at this point is that the ball is in her court.

(No pun intended, Miss Charlene!)

(Remember when I mentioned that sometimes I put something in the blog that I know will give you a chuckle?)

On the financial front, I am entirely uncomfortable with revealing my soft underbelly at this point, but I can tell you that being open to the generosity of others is not a familiar phenomenon.  I was always an independent person who lived within her means and who tried her level best to do as much as I could for others, so to find myself at age 51 in a financial cul-de-sac is both frightening and humiliating all at the same time.  But I am trying very hard to surrender guilt, shame, and embarrasment and just make smart decisions that will be helpful in the long run.  The genesis and growth of the YouCaring fund that Susan Fletcher organized leaves me...speechless.  And humbled.  It is not an overstatement to say that your kindness is literally saving my life.

It is a sure eventuality that I will be leaving Chez Spinster sooner rather than later.  I built this little dream house 15 years ago with the idea that they would someday carry me out of here feet first, but it looks like I might need to go elsewhere for a bit before I can buy it back some day and live out that dream.  I don't know where I am going to end up, which is part and parcel of about 86% of my stress, but I just breathe and re-boot and will get through it, I'm sure.

Physically, the only way I can decsribe what I'm feeling is to ask you to imagine that you've been dropped from a tall building after running a marathon with the worst flu you've ever had.  Everything is a bit...blurry, you pretty much hurt from head to toes, and sometimes the fatigue is so severe that you could just curl up in a ball in the Target parking lot.  Nothing tastes good, you are so thirsty you almost can't stand it, and the only thing you want to save what little sanity you have left is a dietCoke the size of a Buick...which is positively forbidden.

Emotionally, I don't need to tell you what Stewey's loss has meant, since so many of you have written to tell me that you miss him too.  I am pretty sure that he died when he did so that my heart would already be broken (and thus numb) when the rest of the storm hit.  After all, once you've lost everything what's one more blow to health and heart?

I am a positive person, I really am, and I was born to two of the strongest people I ever met.  But my battles are all a bit un-winable at this point, as as much as I pull on those bootstraps, there comes a point when you realize just how far out of control and beyond your reach solutions exist.  My gratitude lists are long indeed, but my list of real true problems grows exponentially.

Bosco is here and doing his level best to keep me company, but he misses his mommie frantically.  His pacing and crying for her absolutely breaks my heart, but I hold him close and make sure he has food and water and a large patch of the big girl sleigh bed to toot into each evening.  He (and I, I suppose) deserved so much better, but at least we are in it together for the time being.

I don't know what's going to happen next and I don't know what (if anything) my future holds at this point.  I'm just working my way through it all and hoping that when I finally come out on the other side there will be a good story to tell and a well-lit path for anybody coming behind me.  If I can absorb one punch or prevent one fall from happening to another person with my experience, then it will all have been worth it.

I just hope I have the strength to make it through.


28 comments:

  1. I have confidence in you. Wish I lived closer and could help you out. Wrong blood type to boot (going thru the same analysis in our family as well for a relative).

    You have lots of friends here and while we may not be able to do too much in the grand scheme of things, we do "listen."

    Hugs and more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Coni, I'm so sorry that you've been caught in a "perfect" storm of sorts. I hope that your sister wakes up and realizes what's at stake here. Take comfort in Bosco and in your stitching. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, Stewey, Bosco, and your future new Kidney (and from wherever and whomever she is arriving from) are in my thought and prayers everyday.
    I would like to do more if it is possible. Have you already considered renting out Chez Spinster while renting out a new place for yourself? Would this be allowed in your subdivision or community? I know it is not ideal, and seems daunting, maybe, but if it is something that you can try, I am happily offering to help with that-or anything at all.
    I have always been a renter, of 5 homes in the last 30 years, and am finally very close to purchasing my own. It just breaks my heart that you may have to leave yours, along with all the other upheaval in your life. I hope you don't spend too much energy on feeling shame-life is rough, more for some than others.
    I'm just a nearly 51 year old spinster who also stitches and who also has a chronic health challenge :-) I understand your independence and pride, so no harm no foul but I will send you an email with some details and some ideas.
    Amy Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coni,
    We are with you!
    Susan
    I urge everyone to donate to Coni's account. She has given us so much, it's time to give back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts & prayers are with you.💖
    Blessings
    Baa

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Bosco are in my thoughts. And Stewe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending hugs, good thoughts and more hugs to you through cyberspace. You can get through this, Coni. Remember you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coni -- you have so many real friends here in the virtual community. I thought so, and so many have proved it by their amazing generousity. We went live less than 24 hours ago, and are at more than $1600 already. This is amazing.

    Big thanks to everyone who has donated -- you are amazing!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coni you have entertained me and educated me for many years. You have many people who love and support you. You are brave to share your story and I understand your fear. My prayers are that you find a good place to settle in to live your life and also you get a kidney sooner than later. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An anonymous donor said, "I wish I could carry some of your load for you...Please remember that there are many of us who care about you!"

    I think that comes from many of us. <3

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending hugs, prayers and much love your way.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots and lots of hugs... So sorry you're going through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hang in there Coni. Sending you prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending love and hugs, desperately wishing things improve for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Coni, I am so very very sorry you find yourself in this situation. All I can say is the same as everyone else, take heart dear friend, we are all sending you much love and hopes for your future health and happiness. Irene xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Coni, I wish I was there to help you through this crap, cause that is what it is. Life throws it at us regardless if we deserve it or not, which you certainly don`t. I wish you didn`t have to move, I know from personal experience that being forced out of your home is traumatic in ways that people can`t understnd unless they have been there. Being forced t mve on top of everything else you are going throught just stinks. I can`t imagine how awful you must feel. Love you, think of you every day. Huge (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Coni, a lot of angels looking out for you....appreciate you sharing your soul blessings for strength for one moment at a time🌹

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coni, I keep thinking about you and praying for you. I'm a few days behind so was thrilled to see what Susan had done. You are such an inspiration to all of us. My heart hurts for all that you are going through, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coni -

    Add me to the long list of people who wish they lived closer in order to be able to help you!

    However - and I don't recall where in Indiana you live, but... - I have a sister and a nephew who live outside Fort Wayne. My sister could organize and execute a move in her sleep, she has done it so many times herself. My 20 something nephew is truly one of kind - he is kind, he is helpful, and (despite weighing about 97 pounds soaking wet) deceptively strong. In ALL seriousness.....if there is anything they can do to help you, PLEASE let me know.

    You are loved Coni....by people who don't even know you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  20. soooo, I have o negative (I hear that's universal) - can you have o negative or does it absolutely have to be B?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Coni, Thinking of you today and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coni, you are such an amazingly strong woman. I love reading your blog posts - you are brave, loving, kind, and oh so funny, even in the face of chaos. You inspire me to go on with whatever little down in the dumps things I am dealing with. I wish I could know you in person, I would be honored to have such a friend as you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Except for losing a beloved little dog, I can't begin to imagine what you are going through financially, health-wise, or with your sister. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How do we give to your YouCaring Fund?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just visit https://www.youcaring.com/conirich-813248 and you can give via your credit or debit card. The system automatically adds a payment to YouCaring, but you can change it.

      Feel free to e-mail me flechersj@hotmail.com

      Susan (the organizer, unfortunately posting as Anonymous)

      Delete
  25. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel but I am sending all my love and hugs and hoping it makes you feel a teeny tiny bit better xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sending love, cyberhugs and prayers for our beloved Coni!❤

    ReplyDelete