Nov 30, 2017

RED. WING.

A little start on Bargello Cardinal last night:

Here's a closer view:
 
(Whoopsie...I just noticed that I missed a stitch in there!  See it?)

Today was a big day for me, kidney wise.  My transplant surgeon, Dr. Goggins, came up from Indianapolis for appointments in this area and he was very very happy with me.  When we met in the Spring, he gave me a long list of things that he wanted me to do before he would consider me 100% ready for transplant.

Know what?

I did every single one of them!

To be completely honest, I didn't realize that NOT doing them was an option.  I have always been kinda squirrelly that way...if you tell me I have to go stand on my head and spit wooden nickeks in order to live another day...I'm pretty likely to do it.  Most patients, however, don't think this way and he ends up getting very frustrated and short with them.

(Like the poor lady who was in the room next to me.)

But I got a gold star for the day and walked out of there feeling like a rock star.  

Now the ball in 1000% in my sister's court.  If she wants to be a living donor, then it's time for her to be tested and get on with it.  If she doesn't (which I am perfectly OK with, by the way), then she needs to say so definitively so that I can move on to dialysis and finding another donor or dialysis and waiting on the cadaver list.

Rich, God love him, has taken it upon himself to drive this bus right to its destination...whether that's down to Indy for transplant or off a cliff.  He has developed a good rapport with my sister and thinks he will be able to have the hard conversations (because God knows...I simply cannot).

In the meantime, while he's off on his white steed doing whatever it is that men on white steeds do, I am going to do more stitching, reading, cooking, sleeping, writing, and eating.  My Happy Land of Make Believe is warm and safe and dry, full of pretty things, and just too damn much fun to leave.  

OK...off to the big girl sleigh bed for a nap while Rich takes his afternoon walk.  Then it will be to the Martin's for salads and then home to the Notre Dame basketball game and a little more stitching.

A rather perfect Thursday, indeed!


31 comments:

  1. Yay! It will all work out....wait and see! PS: I simply LOVE cardinals! Your stitchy is loverly!
    Sending live and lots of good wishes
    MaryO1230
    😚🌲⚘🌷🌼🌻🌺πŸ₯€πŸŒΉπŸ΅πŸ•Š

    ReplyDelete
  2. That s/b "sending love.."
    😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you for doing the "list". It took a lot of effort and you deserve a round of applause!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, that is great news that you took on the list and the surgeon/doc is 100% pleased. Your red bird looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on conquering the list and wowing the doc!! I know that’s not an easy task! Enjoy your evening...sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Coni! I'm afraid I would have been the lady in the next room. I'm always trying to cut corners. Good for you! It sounds like you are in a perfect place right now. I'm so happy you have Rich in your corner to facilitate everything. He surely was heaven-sent, don't you think? I'm thinking your Mom, Dad and Stewie had something to do with this timing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for gold stars! I’m hoping things will go well for Rich and you will be on your way to healthy very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Connie, I'm so glad you have Rich on your side. IMHO, if your sister hasn't said no to the transplant with words yet, she's said no with her actions. Think carefully before having any "hard conversations" with her, which could sever your relationship with her for good. Best seize your own control and get on with whatever you can do to help yourself (dialysis, getting on donor list, etc). If you continually wait for her to decide, she's the one who has control over you. Trust that if she does decide to proceed with the transplant she surely knows what to do by now. By not doing what's needed, she's given her answer.

    I'm sorry...living donor situations can be very emotionally complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet speaks some hard but true words here, IMHO.

      Delete
  9. I am perplexed...there are any number of us out here, were we a match, would step up...your true sisters... and I cannot understand why your own hesitates...Violet expressed it so well...maintain control and believe you will be led to the best path with the prayer warriors behind you. You are going to be just fine and what more
    can be said for that JB hero whom we have all come to admire and greatly respect....fine, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heritage, living donation is a very complex event which involves many elements. Not everyone feels the same way. Coni herself has said she is fine with her sister's decision, whatever it may be. There should be no stigma in declining to be a donor. We are not cookie cutter people with identical feelings and experiences.

      Delete
  10. So happy to hear your appointment went so well! Happy stitching and napping in the big girl sleigh bed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job getting the Dr's checklist done! Know that it will all work out how it's supposed to. Thank goodness for JB.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm praying for you Coni. It's not all unselfish. My Boy Child has decided he wants to do a summer program at ND. I'm gonna need someone to go (assuming he gets admitted) look at him from a distance with binoculars to make sure he is o.k. I can't think of anyone better than you to do that for me. And if he decides to go to ND, I would love for him to have someone to rely upon until I could get there for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't there a bunch of states in between North Dakota and Indiana, where Coni lives?

      Delete
    2. Evelyn, she means Notre Dame, not North Dakota.

      Delete
    3. HA! I also thought M&Co meant North Dakota and was totally confused about how she thought that was anywhere near Indiana. Never occurred to me she meant Notre Dame...how funny!

      Delete
    4. WooHoo! Of course...I would be thrilled to be of help in any way I can! I'll light some candles that he gets into the program and will start practicing my Mo-ther skills! (teeheeheeheehee)

      Delete
  13. I think Rich talking with your sister is fantastic. First that he's willing and has offered and second, as a non- family member, he can minimize the emotion in the discussion. I prayer it's a good conversation and whatever her decision, you'll both be at peace and ready to move on with the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad for you! Great dr visit, awesome JB, and a fabulous project! I saw that online recently and now I'm really sure I need it . Have a wonderful Fri and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad to hear you got the gold stars!! You must have a lot of determination to have done so well. Thank god for Rich, I hope your sis comes through for you, but if she can`t, there may well be donors lining up...hope Buzzy is doing better! Love you...Mj

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I think of you and Rich, an old saying comes to mind...Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same....Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think its time you propose to your Jersey boy. A Christmas engagement would be a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saying prayers for God's direction for all involved; Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is going to be such a pretty little cardinal! And so glad to hear that you had a good doctors visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting and helpful article with perfect answers.
    928bet

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for providing me a informative blog. I enjoyed it thoroughly,sagame vip

    ReplyDelete