Nov 19, 2017

IN WHICH WE PLAY VARSITY BALL...



On a cold and very wet Saturday my guild sisters and I went to Goshen, Indiana for an all-day class with Miss Wendy Moore.  We are piloting a very intense (yet gorgeous) piece that has a HUGE batch of delicious threads, a hundred-plus page stitch guide, and more fun than a Christmas morning with Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the kitchen making waffles.

I confess to feeling extremely apprehensive as we prepared for Wendy's visit, and I promised myself that if I fell behind or got overwhelmed I would just zip it and ask for help later and in private...where the shame of being a boob could just wash over me and I could exorcise my stitchy demons quietly.

But the planets must have been in alignment, because I managed to keep up, follow along and stitch, and enjoy the process immensely. 

As much as I would love to tell you that this is a reflection of my improved skill set, it was due to the excellence of the instructions, instructor, and company of my friends (who are all beautiful stitchers).  Instead of getting intimidated by it all, I decided to breathe deeply, pay attention, enjoy every stitch, and take a moment to drink in the view.

Is there anything better than a group of wonderful, like-minded people gathering together to do something we all love?  It really is like medicine to me...making me feel calm and peaceful and happy and inspired and...happy.

I know I've been throwing that word around a lot lately, but I really do think that recognizing it and honoring even small moments of it each day are critical to me at this point.  Physically, I am really struggling, and I know that big changes are just around the corner, but emotionally?  Emotionally, I am determined to keep myself as positive as I can be so that I don't go back to the bottom of the well with the big black dog threatening to bite.  I don't ever want to feel as sad or scared or (dare I use the d-word?) as I did at this time last year.  I realize that it was situational and probably related to everything going on around me, but it was...brutal.

But that's the past.  And I want my thoughts of the past to focus more on funny happy things so that I can have a funny happy future.

So...today we will cozy up with fuzzy blankets, cups of damn good, and lots of TeeVee and stitching.  Rich has just returned with a copy of the Times, so I can look forward to seeing all of the ads for what's to come next Friday.

Happy, happy Sunday, Dearies.  Thanks for indulging Mary Poppins here with the "all sunshine and rainbows all the time" phase we're in.  I'll try to dial it down a bit...even I am getting a little nauseated by the sap .

Enjoy your day...do something fun...yadda yadda yadda.

18 comments:

  1. What a great looking project! No wonder you're excited! I can't wait to see how this develops. Do you know if this pattern will be available, or will it be a class only piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great outing yesterday with your stitch sisters, Coni. You are so right about gathering with like-minded people with this "thing" of ours. It brings out the best in all of us. Coni, you don't need to dial it down. I am glad that you are choosing happy. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably don't get People Magazine but you might want to get the new one out with my personal crush as "Sexist Man Alive" on the front Blake Shelton BECAUSE inside is Jeffrey Dean Morgan hold his 1 year old son on his shoulder - it is just toooooo cute! Your JB does remind me of him some what. Love the piece hope you continue with it for awhile. With all the different stitches and the gorgeous variety of threads you shouldn't get bored with it for a very long time. You have a lot stitch for just one day. I am usually so buy watching everyone else in classes I never come home with as much done as you have - good job GIRL! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughed at your foray into Costco's...and agree with your ultimate decision to save the small stuff for local purchase..that's is how to solve the Costco dilemma of over consumption...how many bananas can you eat in a week?
    Love your new piece..it is your type of intricacy.. enjoy!
    Your happy climb out of the deep pit is such an inspiration to any of us who "struggle" and we celebrate
    your happiness as a certain reality. Who needs the TimesCorp indifference when you have a built in and handsome JB who delivers? Relish every moment....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, this phrase alone cracked me up and made my day and is one of the reasons I look for you every single day: "...and more fun than a Christmas morning with Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the kitchen making waffles."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coni - Substitute Sean Bean (my little heart flutters at the name) and I’m down with it all. I’ll bet Boromir makes a hell of a waffle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't help it. Being without the 'd' word is such a relief that all the sunshiny things are BEAUTIFUL! I don't wonder at it all. I am just so happy for you. Love, hugs & prayers, Cathryn ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that you are happy. Sharing it makes us all enjoy. Hope this is a great day for you. I am going to enjoy watching your progress on this piece. Enjoy. The Moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your happies (I know that I love to read about them). They will make great memories when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! So glad for you and Rich.
    MaryO1230 πŸ₯€πŸŒΉπŸŒΊπŸŒ»πŸŒΌπŸŒ·⚘πŸπŸ‚

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Coni,
    I have been out of the loop for a while and to come back and hear just how your life has turned around and how happy you are is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad things are looking up for you ! It is an answer to prayer and I never get tired of hearing that someone is happy. Your blog has made me happy for many years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love hearing about all of your activities. My goal is to start stitching again, I need to make time for relaxation and creativity! Happy Thanksgiving πŸ¦ƒ and God Bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you are happy Coni...at the end of the day, it is what matters.

    xo Mj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh that sure is purdy!! The 100+ page stitch guide is a little intimidating... And I can read about you being happy until forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's going to be a fun stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Morning Ms. Coni! It was a great time sharing my day with you on Saturday stitching away with the wonderful Ms. Wendy! I am home safe and sound and plan to work on my piece later today, but first I have a model to work on and get out the door by next week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete