May 27, 2017

THE STUDIO PACKING HALFTIME REPORT

I've been at it most of the day, but moving at a nice leisurely pace and taking lots and lots of breaks.  I just put sausage, peppers, and onions in to roast for sandwiches later so thought I'd take a little longer break and check in.


Here's the progress so far:

FUPPIES (those are the projects that are finished in terms of the stitching, but they haven't been framed or made into pillows, etc yet): All gathered together and stacked/rolled neatly in an underbed storage box. (It's the long one on the bottom) (And yes, the box is full!)
BLANK CANVAS: in the top drawer on the right above.

LINEN: in the bottom drawer on the right.

WIPS: all packed except Poppers and a cross stich piece to keep me sane the next two weeks. (And no, I did not count them.  I swear.  I did not.) (The smaller WIPS are in the box on the left in the picture above...the larger ones are in this larger box:)
PAINTED CANVASES: are rolled and in the corners of the box above, along with a few long rolls of blank canvas and linen that wouldn't fit in the drawers.

TOOLS FOR HOLDING CANVAS/LINEN: Drawers with stretcher bars, q-snaps, scroll rods, hoops, tacks, tape, etc. packed (I had this set of drawers and used to keep linen in it, but this is perfect for this stuff!) (The top drawer has tacks, felt strips, tape, hoops, and q-snap covers.)

COUNTED CANVAS CHARTS: packed.  These are all in binders, and wouldn't you know that I found five matching EMPTY binders in the closet!  Note to self...time to fill them up!

THREADS: Vineyard Silk, Crescent Colors, and DMC all packed.  


Thread drawers with all other threads (I have 10 of the little three drawer suckers!) will be stacked and shrink wrapped.


I think I'm about halfway through.  Yet to pack are cross stitch charts and kits, crewel stuff, felting stuff, beads, small tools (like scissors, needles, glasses), large tools like floor and lap stands, lamps, bags/baskets, jewelry making supplies, scrapbooking supplies, coloring supplies, fabric, and yarn/knitting stuff.

If I had to guess, I would imagine that about 1/3 of the total studio contents will be left over after I move.  There's the Island of Misfit Toys (a huge bin of projects or kits or charts that I totally abandoned) and two closets full of odds and ends.  Considering the fact that I haven't looked at any of that stuff for 10 plus years...methinks I won't miss it at all!

So that's the report, dearies.  I have to say...this was the room that had me the most concerned, but so far it has gone very very smoothly.  The good news is that I don't have to physically carry anything downstairs...the moving guys will take care of that for me in the 12th.  And, once it gets to my new place I think I've packed it in such a way that getting it re-organized will be a breeze!

Speaking of organization in the new place...the storage cubes arrived!  I am so happy that I ordered them from Target online...shipping was free and I never would have been able to get the boxes in my car...let alone the house!  I am debating whether or not I will assemble them here and have the guys carry them over already done or if I'll wait and do it at CS2.  We'll see how much time and energy I have left!

These will take up one entire wall of the new studio/office and will contain my entire stash.  All together I will have 41 blocks to fill...each measuring 13 inches square.  I know I can buy bins and dividers and other accessories for them, but I want to wait until I get everything in to figure out what I'm going to need.

The only thing that has me stumped is where to hang my painted canvases.  In this studio, I had them on skirt hangers on a tension rod in a cabinet opening.  I suppose I could do the same thing again...maybe in the hall closet? 

Something to ponder...

Hope your Saturday is swell!  Bosco and I are going to have a little dinner and get that studio finished!
Thanks for indulging me...it really helped to step back and see how it's going so far!

WooHoo!

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I am very impressed with your progress! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm worn out just reading about all the work you've done! What determination! Doing all of that would have taken me a week at least! Congratulations on so much progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy. So impressed with the consolidation and neatness of everything you've packed. The sausage has me drooling (with peppers & onions...Oh My!) Don't overwork yourself.

    Sandra in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the progress! If you have time, assemble your cubes and let the movers carry them for you and place against the wall. Then all you'll have to do is secure them to the wall and fill them up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coni, you're amazing! Well-done I say! I'm so glad to hear you are taking breaks. The sausage and peppers look delicious! Inspiration galore. Love, hugs & prayers, Cathryn ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've done incredibly well in just one day! Just remember to pace yourself ..... we don't want you to burn out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing how you organize everything!! You are obviously a hard worker!! Thanks for the inspiration! Now, I'm off to pick up some sausage, onions and peppers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use 6-tier skirt hangers for my painted canvases. I have 4 in each zipper garment bag. Works really well for me and the garment bags keep the canvases clean and dust free. I have them hung at the very far left of my clothes closet. They are out of the way there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've worked on downsizing and organizing my stash at least 3 times in the last 5 years (layoff and fear of immediate move, actual move, trying to fit all into new space). But I'm blown away by your organization! What will you do with the "leftovers" that you won't be moving?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would adopt your misfits if you're interested. Pack them up, slap a mailing label on them and have the mail person pick them up. I would pay for the postage. Not that I'm greedy, I'm just a retired old lady that can't afford all that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Coni! You earned a gold star from me on your packing for the day. Now remember, don't over do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Coni, you are really moving along, haha. I would not assemble the cubes now, they are pressed wood and don't move well. It may take more time when you move in, but they will be in perfect shape to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wondering if selling your misfits could help pay for the move? Quickly making "mystery boxes" that would be uniformly priced at $10, $20, etc. and use flat rate boxes would cut down on time involved. Maybe after the move would be better timewise?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're doing a great job. You will be sooo happy that you took such care with your packing. It will make unpacking much nicer! By the way, be sure they shrink wrap all the plastic drawer thingies. Movers are not as careful as you'd like and those drawers will come open! I speak from recent experience! I even bought cheap plastic wrap and did my own shrink wrapping of smaller items that went in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing a wonderful job!! Happy to hear you at taking lots of breaks too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my I could never, ever leave two closets full of stuff without finding out what was in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A couple of things for you to consider. Have someone from either the EGA or ANG chapter come get your "leftovers". Have them store them until a meeting and then distribute or sell. MY EGA chapter has an annual "garage sale" - raises money for the chapter and lets everyone get "cheap" new projects.
    I store my stretcher bars in an old wine bag (which I put in a box) - each opening has a couple of sizes in them. Makes it fairly easy to find the right size assuming they aren't on a "current" project.
    Hope the rest of packing goes well.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you take the cubes in the packages, the movers can put them together at the new place.

    ReplyDelete