Nov 9, 2016

DAMN, DRAT, AND PHOOEY

Today (and much of yesterday and the day before) was an exercise in frustration.  As the duly designated newsletter editor of one of my guilds, and as a columnist fir Needlepoint Now, I am, from time to time, required to put the metaphorical pen to paper and submit my drivel for review.

Now, you might be thinking to yourself "What's the hig deal, Spinster Stitcher?  You submit your drivel on this here blog for review, and it doesn't seem to give you too much angst."

Well, it's a matter of equipment, it would seem.  I am able to blog on my iPad thingie from the friendly confines of my Happy Chair.  More extensive writing requies that I go into my office and fire up the 97-year old desktop computer that I got somewhere in the Mesozoic Era.

So for three days I have been futzing and swearing and tweaking and banging the keyboard of said relic with the hopes of assembling both the newsletter and my column without bloodshed or a nervous breakdown.

I made it out of there semi-OK, but the poor little man trapped inside the damn thing with the stone tablet and chisel is never going to be the same.

Stupid technology.

If all goes according to plan, I will take myself to the Best Buy and think about an early Christmas present to myself of a contraption that will allow me to join you all in the 21st century.  Heck, while I'm there I might even consider upgrading my rotary phone and black and white console television!

The radio and horse and buggy, however stay.

10 comments:

  1. You should free the little man and take him to Best Buy with you so he can get rid of his stone tablet too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that machines should last (and work properly) forever and ever. I realize, however, that, technology is designed to work only for two (+/-) years. I feel your pain. Drat those machines!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Coni, thank you for the chuckle. I still live in the stone age with my desktop. Good luck with your quest to Best Buy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coni, computers seem to be outdated shortly after I buy them! It has always been an exercise in frustration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it. You'll wonder why you waited so long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am drawn to tears most often when sitting before that dreadful instrument without which we can no longer exist.
    The visual of your "engineer" caught with tablet and chisel in the throes of a breakdown - hilarious. Hope
    you can find a replacement that will allow you the control
    and not a monster that changes, adds, deletes programs to
    its heart's content. You will not need all the whistles and bells, just reliability and consistency sans all the
    pop ups....... good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMBO... love the horse and buggy. Do you have a sleigh too for winter? Hope you can fulfill your obligations without too much more frustration. Hugs & prayers, Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand. I do our newsletter and wring my hands over the graphics. Let us continue to fight the good fight. It's the updates that really make a mess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black Friday sales are a good time to find deals on computers. I hate tech sometimes, as soon as you buy a new computer it's out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What did we do without technology? We've moved away from a desktop and use a laptop now. That way I can sit on the couch and do whatever I need to do. Sometimes I need a desk setup and that is easy too. It's always a learning curve when you change things out. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete