Feb 19, 2012

AND THEN...SHE HIT A NERVE

Oh my goodness! Y'all just ROCK my stupid little world with your nice comments! And considering the fact that I have been unable to lift my arms or bend any of my major joints ever since the cleaning marathon...you REALLY rock my stupid little world!

(Maybe that's how I will finally motivate myself to clean the rest of the house...."If I scrub this (insert thing that needs to be scrubbed here) to within an inch of its life and sweat through my terry cloth headband and bike shorts while doing it, maybe all of my stitchy friends will write nice comments that will make the impending pain of death palatable." Hmmmm. Could we be on to something here?)

The first thing I do want to do though is apologize for that post, especially if you thought it was a little too....um...brag-gy. I'm Catholic. Guilt is like breathing for me. So now that I've pranced around for three days going "Look at meeeeeee! Look at meeee!", I'm feeling the need to confess my sin of pride. For all of you out there who thought to yourselves "My God, what an obnoxious blog post", please know that I beat you to the punch.

(But I'm not unposting it.)

Thread storage seemed to be a hot topic. I store my threads according to way I use them. In other words, I keep all of the like with like. Those white three drawer thingies hold all my threads according to number (for things like DMC perle cotton), or alphabetically (for things like Weeks and Gentle Art). And then there's the drawer that says "Misc silk" because I don't really have enough of any one thing to justify a whole drawer for it. I also have a scrapbooking doo dad that I hang all of my Crescent Colours on, but the jury is still out on whether or not that's a very practical solution for me.

I also wanted to mention that zones are a huge thing for me. All that means, basically, is that I put all of the scrapbooking crap in one place, all of the beading crap in another, cross stitch, needlepoint...yadda yadda yadda and on and on and on until I have it in a way that I can find stuff. This really has no other purpose than to prevent me from going to the Michael's every ten minutes for crap that I already have and probably didn't need in the first darn place.

I am always waaaayyyy too happy to tell you all about the way I do crap up there, and I'll even try to give you the brand name of the doo dad that I'm using, but the thing I really really really want to say with full-throated voice and hand over heart is.....

It's all good, people. It's all good.

I don't care if your studio consists of the third shelf in a closet at the back of a storage shed in the middle of a corn field or if you stuff everything you own into a black plastic garbage bag and haul it around in a little red wagon. Anybody, and I really do mean anybody who picks up a needle, sticks a piece of thread through it, and then pokes it into something is OK in my book. And I don't care if you're stitching daffodils or unicorns or quilt patterns or fractals or the latest pictures from your Uncle Fester's colonoscopy. If you're stitching or tatting or knitting or scrapbooking or punching or hooking or doing anything else that remotely relates to this thing of ours, I will sit next to you all day long and secretly wish to be your friend.

So there you have it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have bike shorts to don and a terry cloth headband to fish out of the "Things I Wore In 1973" bin. There's cleanin' to do!

25 comments:

  1. Yep, that was pretty Catholic! I imagine that everyone was impressed with your room, not only for its size and fullness, but for its organization. I have this belief that all stitchers, scrappers etc have an extra large anal gene. I believer that a good part of the fun of having everything is playing with it until it is all organized. Maybe that was just a confession on my part....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on an organization bend a few years ago--took me forever and once I was organized couldn't find a darn thing!

    I agree--those who create I also hope they sit next to me and want to be my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I have the need to reassure you that in no way would I stitch the pictures of ANYONE's colonoscopy! (secretly lmbo!) Thank you so much for your blog, sharing your life and giving the true gift of laughter. :D Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way was that bragging,it's just an awesome stitching room and I for for one love to see other stitchers' sewing space because I am very nosey :) I like to organise, I make lists and I can find everything I don't want,but not the thing I am looking for!!!!
    Like lots of other visitors I love your blog :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with the organization in your stitching room. I have to admit that I would love it even if it were disorganized. I love seeing other stitcher's projects, stitching corners, stash, etc. As you said, if a person stitches, they are OK in my book.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catholic girl here, feeling guilty because I am reading blogs instead of stitching, looking for freebie charts of bunnies and all things Easter for my Easter stitching tree and feeling guilty because I ate 1 complete box of Girl Scout Cookies while being online.

    Looking at your studio, it got me staring out the door looking at the 4 season room (aka Florida room) and wondering how to turn it into a studio. Think I have it figured out, now comes the hard part, getting the funds to transform it. LOL.

    Hope you and Stewey are having a great day.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coni: I represent that remark about us Catholics. I am sure there any some people who feel more guilt, but they are not on this planet.
    The organization of your stitching room is mind boggling. Could you come to my stitching room and do the same? I have been trying for a number of years without success. Perhaps with your inspiration I would be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Coni, you can be my friend anytime - not in secret...lol! I love being around creative minds that think like mine. Loved your post - happy rest of Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG best post ever! You're hilarious and your blog makes me laugh every single time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another Catholic girl here, that guilt hits ya when you least expect it, doesn't it? But think of how happy you make us with your dreamy pics of a clean, organized and happy stitching place!!! I for one picture myself there stitching away under a sunny skylight. So thank you and keep those happy pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post always makes me smile. I am never sure what you or Stewey will come up with next. Stitching, dogs, it's all good.........Trudy and Scully

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog! It always makes me laugh and brightens my day! And I love your stitching room, I would love to come stitch there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't think you were bragging at all. Everything is a blessing from God and He blessed you with one fabulous room.

    It was all pure INSPIRATION!!!! As are you and Sir Stewey.

    Stitch On Sister;-)

    blessings, jilly

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your organization job and am so jealous.

    also - I finished Rainforest Crunch - I borrowed a lot of your colors! I'd love to show you - could you email me? 1961girl @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coni, I love, love, love your stitching room - I'm surreptitiously trying to rearrange our house so I get a proper stitching space instead of a messy, messy, corner. I just need to convince DH that bicycles live outside, not in the living room...bedroom...dining room...kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, but have you involved your computer in all of the organization. Spreadsheets listing all charts that can be sorted by designer or theme, lists of threads with notations if they are stored with a work in progress. Projects started when, worked on when, and completed when. So each trip to the store must begin with research on items needed etc. This is not me of course, it was but I am in recovery. CJ in OK ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too suffer from the Catholic guilts. :D You should be very proud of your studio, I know I would be if mine were that clean and organzied.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy to hear that there is not elitism going on here and that all your stuff is just organised in a way that makes good sense to you.
    I on the other hand need things to be untidy and in my face to ever make a start on anything.
    Enjoy your stitching - I can't see any good reason for wasting good stitching time on boring cleaning tasks?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay,I'm having real trouble here - why does Ms. Joanne already have her Thin Mints and I haven't recieved my Girl Scout Cookie order yet!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brag away! I LOVE seeing where others imagine and create. I have my own room too, but no one knows the secret way to get in...turn your body sideways, suck in your gut and high step over all the fabric piles on the floor while twisting your body away from protruding cartons stacked four high...

    ReplyDelete
  21. O.K. Girlfriend if I had a room as wonderful as yours I would not only be braggiung I would have people over to let them gush over it, oh well if you have it flaunt it.
    Stewey: I think Mom needs to get a big hug from you for a great job on her wonderful room, I love organization.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Coni, get over the guilt and post not LESS pics, but MORE pics of the studio, like close up pics!! I am attempting to organize my stitchy stuff, and as a result have pics and a file on my computer of methods I am lusting after, and I AM lusting after yours at the moment!! And you can ALWAYS give up GUILT for Lent??

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm with Becki, more pictures, please, not less! You're not bragging; you're instructing. So far as guilt goes, you Catholics with a capital C don't have a monopoly on it--we catholics with a little c have it too. Guilt is a catholic and universal thing.

    Elvis says to tell Stewy "Meow," which means, "Meet you on the porch for a gin and tonic, Dude, while our moms stitch?"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well which one of those four chairs do you want me to sit in while I stitch on Uncle Fester's colonoscopy chart? It's coming along reaally well, the colors are great. Love your's and Stewey's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This made me chuckle until a co-worker gave me a funny look and then I just smiled (A LOT). Nothing wrong with a sense of satisfaction at a job well done and organizing is not easy. As a fellow Catholic, there is a lot of truth in the sense of guilt for taking any personal credit. But don't worry, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete