Jan 14, 2011

SNOWBALL!

My mom can't come to the blog right now. She's catching her breath from a rousing game of Snowball (!) that we just finished out in the front yard. Snowball (!) is a game that I invented so that mo-ther might get some fresh air and exercise, and I'm happy to report that she's learning how to play it quite well.

The rules are simple...Mo-ther asks me if I want to go outside to retrieve the mail, and after a few cute wiggles on my part, the collar and leash are attached, the ball is clamped firmly in my little jaw, and out we go.

It starts simply enough. Mo-ther stands in the driveway and tosses the ball into the middle of the snow-covered front yard. Then, rather unexpectedly, I run like a little maniac through the snow (that's over my head, by the way), until I come upon the ball, shake it vigorously for a few seconds, and then bark bark bark bark at the top of my lungs. Mo-ther asks me nicely to bring the ball to her...then she asks not so nicely....and then she huffs and puffs her way through the calf-deep snow to get the damn ball herself.

Then she goes back to the driveway and does it all over again.

She's cute in that way...expecting a different result from the same thing over and over again.

After she's thrown the ball and retrieved the ball several dozen times, she usually realizes that I've already headed back to the house for some hot chocolate and my blanket, and we then go through a rather long lecture series in which she explains the concept of "fetch" to me.

Ahhhh, youth.

I hope that you will love your weekend and that you get to do whatever it is you want to do. I'll be catching up on some movies that I've taped on the DVR device while bitching about the Christmas decorations still being out. Mo-ther, I'm sure, will find something worthwhile to do and will report about it at great length on Monday.

With love from your pal,
Stewey

14 comments:

  1. LOL Stewey, I hope you didn't wear yourself out too much shaking your ball!!!!

    Your Mo-ther will recover from the exersise soon enough.

    Hope you both have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stewey I hope you also made Mo-ther a hot chocolate and warmed her lap when she came back inside.
    At the moment it is so hot here you could fry an egg on the path outside and I must go and look for the fav-ourite ball, lost in the pumpkin vine. Miss Molly won't go in there, will she!
    Ah furkids, we do just about anything for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Our games of fetch end up as games of grrrr. As in I chase and try to grab the ball while Grace stays tantalizingly out of my reach... both of us say grrrrr but only I mean it. She thinks I need exercise too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah.... Stewey... Just once bring the ball back to her! She'll probably be so excited, she'll do it Ten more times! Do not bring it back even once! Mot-her will stand and scratch her head wondering why you don't do it every time! As far as the "fetch lecture," just nod, and say "Ok" (or just bark with a smile). She really doesn't care if you're listening or not.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stewey,
    Me thinks your Mo-ther has what has been previously diagnosed as "Charlie Brown syndrome". With a little love and understanding she too can get through this.
    Be patient with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got to love that Mo-ther of yours Stewey....great entertainment!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Stewey. Isn't that one of the arguments for having a pet that it's great for excercise? You're doing a fantastic job here..lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stewey, it that a trick that you furbabies play on us? Zoe will never, never fetch anything. Mr H will roll the tennis ball across the room and she just looks at it! He ends up picking it up and putting it back in the basket. No exercise for him! Do you like whipped cream in your hot chocolate like I do?

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol Lestat has me so well trained that I get up at 4.30am to give him breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy said to tell you "Good job teaching your Mo-ther a new trick!"

    Can't wait for the Monday report!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stewey, I thank you and your friends for training us all so well! :D Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Stewey, give your mo-ther a break! Next time bring it back at least half way. Besides, if YOU do not get a little exercise you will get fat on that hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stewey, you are a stitch! I think what you are using on your Mo-ther is called behavioral conditioning. After reading your post, I'm convinced my cats use it on me all the time. Darn cats!

    Be nice to your Mo-ther this weekend. Hope you both have a nice cozy weekend in Hoosierville.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, Stewey, you are so squiggly cute. As an Auntie to an Irish Russell, I can empathize with your training your Mo-ther - from your Mo-ther's point of view. My 'niece' will fetch but she will not give up her prize which results in another round of exercise for everyone.

    ReplyDelete