Jan 24, 2010

STUDIO WEEKEND WITH AUNT CHRISSY AND A COLOR STUDY...PART ONE

Aunt Chrissy and I spent all weekend in the studio doing various and sundry things stitchy related. I framed four pieces and am shocked to report that I thought I would be a pinner, but it turns out, I'm a lacer. Well, actually, I pinned AND laced so I'm not sure what the heck it all means in the end, but two are done and hung: (Holey Schmoley! That is one big white wall! Ironically, this will be the last wall to be painted here at Chez Spinster, since it is approximately the size of an airplane hangar and will require the use of a ladder. I'm not allowed to use a ladder without adult supervision, and Stewey has refused to cover for me. Methinks it's because he's throwing a pout over the lack of a little pink hard hat for use during his "I'm a building contractor and my mo-ther is an idiot" phase.)

The other two pieces aren't hung yet because I haven't quite decided where they will live. For now, they're living behind the cookie jar and are also keeping Zhu Zhu company:



All in all, I will say that it was an enjoyable experience, but it took me a full four and half hours of cussin' up a blue streak before I finally got the hang of this whole "home framing" thing. It's very satisfying, though, so I highly recommend that you give it a try. Just make sure to get yourselves a really good tutorial like the ones on Ms. Vonna and Ms. Laura J. Perin's blogs:http://thetwistedstitcher.blogspot.com/ and http://two-handedstitcher.blogspot.com/ .

Once the framing was complete, we settled in for a few hours of The West Wing. I futzed about at great lengths until Stewey finally pointed his little paw in the direction of my WIP basket and suggested that I get back to work on this(the top pic is Saturday's progress, the bottom, Sunday's):



This is a painted canvas from Amanda Lawford, and it was the very first stitchy Christmas present from my little sis. Isn't it lovely? It's painted on 13ct. canvas, so it's very kind to tired eyes, and the stitches seem to go very very fast. I don't have a stitch guide for this one, so I'm kind of making it up as I go along. I've tried a few things on the black and white border, but I'm not sure that it's the right stitch. Methinks I will keep on stitchin' on with this one.

I also completed Lesson One on the cyber class that I'm taking from Orna Willis:
I did a few stitches I've never done before (like crescents and jessicas), so it was fun and very very satisfying:
All of the poster boards are hung. I'll show you the one in my office first:


OK, so it's not exactly blowing my skirt up just yet. I did change out the print on the wall to see if it would make me like the color more, but I'm not really sold just yet. Believe it or not, I'm leaning towards making this room PUMPKIN!....a very deep and rich orange color. I think that would look pretty cool with the black furniture. I do like that print there, though, so maybe we'll just keep playing in the yellow-ish family for now and stop thinking that it looks too much like 1970's Harvest Gold (not that there's anything wrong with that).

That's the Monday report from Chez Spinster on this lovely Monday morning. I hope that you're off to a fabulous week ahead! Kisses from Stewey!

20 comments:

  1. First of all I'm jealous of your home. Now that we got that out of the way, have you considered mustard yellow...or the country mustards I think that walls that color with black furniture is 'da bomb :)
    But I'm a pumpkin girl myself too...I just have a lemon for a husband and he says white only (for resale value) Yes, he is an engineer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...I forgot to mention...
    your framing is lovely, gorgeous, wonderful and perfection!
    :) And your new WIPS LOVELY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I myself am very fond of the pumpkin. But I think you are cruel to call something that is clearly parchment or Italian Villa by the name "harvest gold."

    PS Someone should tell Vonna's husband that he can paint the house again before they move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great framing. What a sense of accomplishment.

    Also love the new canvas piece. The black and white border with the red flower will look fantastic!

    BrendaS

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pumpkin has my vote! One thing about it, if you don't like, paint it again!!! How does Stewey feel about it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great framing. Your house looks lovely and ...what's the word I want?...showcase-y? Display worthy?
    Anyway it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a poster board of pumpkin? I think it would look nice with the black furniture... though the yellow is ok too. Love the framing! Your current project is soooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait, wait. You mean we can paint the house while we still live there? We don't have to just live with the previous owner's colors? Wow. Four houses with my husband and we have yet to paint except when we are ready to move.

    Your stitching and framing are as gorgeous as all your work!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harvest Gold is fine as long as it NOT the color of your stove, dishwasher or refrigerator!
    It IS lovely on walls.

    The red flower is great -- a real eye popper!

    And your framing is great. I do it too on smaller pieces, but lately my pieces have been WAY too big to attempt it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the framing. All your pieces look great. I say paint the pumpkin - it's only paint for gosh sakes and can be re-done. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your decor is beautiful!!! A splash of orangey color would look very "pulled together" ...no...?..
    I for one loved the poster board color no matter what it is called...Winner here!~~ Stay warm, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stitching. As for your wall color, I think your pear would pop even more against a pumpkin wall than the current posterboard color. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the color against the black furniture! Your framing is gorgeous! Great job!!!

    What does Stewey think?

    ReplyDelete
  14. YGG on all the framing! It's so satisfying, isn't it?? Oh, and before I forget (I'm catching up on bloggy reading... I've been away from blogland for a while) Cherry Cordial is AWESOME!!! How about a deep chocolate brown accent wall where that pear print is? Then the other walls that fabulous golden color you have up on the poster board, or the pumpkin color you're considering? It sounds odd, I know, esp. with the black furniture you've got going - but I did it in my master bath (w/ lots of black accents) and it looks fabulous! The turquoise you've got in there would really pop against it, too. Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. To quote Mr. Rogers, I freaking wish I was your freaking neighbor! (that is what he said, right?) I need a finishing weekend in the worst way and I've got the best paint chip collection in 6 counties! My only problem is I LOVE EVERY COLOR UNDER AND OVER THE RAINBOW! I vote YES!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I say if you want pumpkin, go for it...after all, you can always repaint. I love your wip...you are SUCH a fast stitcher!! Isn`t it fun to experement with stitches and just go with the flow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your framing looks marvelous! Stewey really wants a PINK hard hat?
    I thought about taking Orna's cyber class but already have 2 going (Yikes). Keep us postedon how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kitchen cabinets (even the big pantry one) are painted pumpkin color and I love them. They make me happy, and everyone who comes over compliments them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What about just a single accent wall in pumpkin? I don't think I'd like a whole room in that color (might feel too much like Jack's wife) but one wall would be FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woo, fabulous pinning, lacing and framing! They're beautiful.

    Can't wait to see what you decide about wall color.

    ReplyDelete